Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:53 PM   #1

Default First serious HDR with Photoshop Three layer method...

Well, "serious" is to strong a word, but I deliberately took this series to make an HDR. As such, here is the method I used.

These are three individual shots, taken 2 f stops apart. I used RAW, and set the Raw converter to 16 bits (which really didn't make much of a difference, but what the hell). I intended to work on all three images, but gave that up because none of them were really conducive to Post processing...

Here are the three images:

I created three layers, darkest image on the bottom. I then copied the remaining two images on top of the darkest, varying the opacity of all three images. I found that if I set the bottom layer to partial opacity it interfered with viewing the result, so I waited until I was finished with the process before altering the bottom image. I also increased the saturation of the lightest image (top layer).

I then flattened the layers, and did some additional minor processing.

The final result is a bit too light for viewing on the net, but I'm too lazy to go back...

Mind you, whatever else people want to say about this image, It's not "pseudo," these are seperate exposures...

Here it is:

Bingo! HDR without an HDR program...
(Just saved myself $90 bucks)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:24 PM   #2

Your three shots arent the way to shoot for HDR. Your overexposed? shot would be the 'normal' shot. So you are actually missing the overexposed shot. Basically its all underexposed so your final is something else.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:57 PM   #3

Here is a final done your way by mixing your 3 exposures in Photoshop. Now that the sun has gone down and Im looking at my screen in the dark I can see this pic is way over exposed. But there is still detail in the shutters.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Feb 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Your three shots arent the way to shoot for HDR. Your overexposed? shot would be the 'normal' shot. So you are actually missing the overexposed shot. Basically its all underexposed so your final is something else.
Point taken.

However, I'm lazy. These were the way they came out of the camera. Dark image was two stops lower than mid and so on...

As opposed to using one Raw file, I wanted to be fair and use seperate exposures.

Keep in mind that I am "feeling" my way here, and this was my first attempt to use images that someone would say, "need" HDR.

I'll keep plugging away, and when there is a signifigant "change" in my results, I'll post them.

Dave
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:13 PM   #5

Ok, I started over, and then taking a look I found that there are alignment problems with my three images. This probably accounts for some of the loss of detail.

Here is my second version. While it lacks some of the punch that you provided, it looks far more like my apartment...

(It looks a wee bit different than your PS version, but then again, I'm still working with the original RAW files, as opposed to these thumbnail JPEG's... )

I realise you could do a much better job with the original files - Even so, this is interesting...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Feb 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Here is my second version. While it lacks some of the punch that you provided, it looks far more like my apartment...
Hi Dave! Great tries! I am looking forward to doing HDR's. Thanks for sharing, these are nice photos.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hi Dave! Great tries! I am looking forward to doing HDR's. Thanks for sharing, these are nice photos.

Ned
There are alignment problems with my image - I'll post a 100 percent shot from number two, and you can clearly see them. I took these shots, one by one, and by laying my camera on a shelf. I SHOULD have bracket the shots, and done the bracketing with a timer. I'll try that next. Bynx is right on target with his previous posts....

Here's the 100 percent thumb, and the noise is also a product of mis-alignment...

Photomatrix provides an option to align images. I have no idea how well it works, but it sure has to beat the above...

Dave
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:50 PM   #8

Well, keep at it... I am sort of learning from you guys online... Keep up the good work.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:31 PM   #9

Your last full room shot its pretty well right on. There is nice detail in the blinds as well as the shine on the chair seat in front of the bed. Also some detail in the black jacket under the vest. A very 'normal' looking exposured room.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Your last full room shot its pretty well right on. There is nice detail in the blinds as well as the shine on the chair seat in front of the bed. Also some detail in the black jacket under the vest. A very 'normal' looking exposured room.
You're mistaken. This is a $500,000 a month apartment. Why, why, it's what we call, "Fancy, Shmancy!"

Well, perhaps not...

But this was done with the same method as the first. The difference being that the Middle exposure is no longer zero. I took your advice, and pushed all three exposures in different directions. The darkest, I made darker, while Middle and light were both pushed to lighter....

BTW - A single shot version was soooooo bad that I'm not going to post it.

Dave