Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:02 AM   #11

Walter, that's a terrific shot!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
...I don't see why you needed HDR, but it's a Wonderful job....
This is you, Chato - But thanks all the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...and one of my favorites from you, though completely different than your norm.
Thank you for your generouse comments, Dustin!
:-))

--------------------------------

- mntgal
- jelpee
- MACKPUDGIES
- Walter C

Thank you all guys and gals for kind words and for taking the time to comment!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...Not to be morbid, but should you die soon, would you leave me your camera?
On one condition, Bynx - That you will come and collect it personnally, because I can't afford the shipping-dues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
...very nice shot walter
Thank's Simon!
:-)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:25 PM   #14

Walter, this is an AMAZING work - really outstanding! The details are just stunning - you and of course DPHDR did a fantastic job

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 AM   #15

It's mother nature and that bloody cold winter who did this - I just klicked the shutter...
:-)

Thank you for commenting!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
This is you, Chato - But thanks all the same!
Walter, I think this is a great shot of an emphemeral phenomonon. I ran your middle exposure through the levels command of PS. Looks just like your final version (with a little unsharp mask) . I didn't make this oberservation to criticize this wonderful shot, (of which I am green with envy) or even to criticise HDR techniques. It was a literal and straight comment - No offense intended, not even an attempt to egg anyone on.

It was a literal compliment.

Out of curiosity, how many times did you shoot this scene?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
...not even an attempt to egg anyone on. ...

Not even a tiny-weeny-bit...? ;-)) Ha-ha!

First of all, Chato - I didn't take your initial commet in a critisizing manner and my reply to you was only ment to be kind of 'teasing' you in a friendly manner (notice the 'winky Smilie?), since I am well aware of your rather 'unambiguous campaign' against the use of HDR (and I do not critisize that either, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, which rather favors the use of HDR) and so it was only a gentle 'nudge' between friends.

Secondly, I had to look up 'emphemeral phenomonon' on Theosaurus, since I didn't know the meaning of the word emphemeral. It turns out it's spelled ephemeral (without the first 'm') and so I have learned a new word in the English language today! Thank's, Dave! Indeed it was a phenomena which only lasted for a few hours.

Thirdly, to answer your question - When I shoot for HDR (which is almost all of the time...), I shoot in series of 5 exposures (my camera, the G1 has a phenomenal bracket-function with either 3, 5 or 7 AEB with either 0,3 - 0,5 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV's apart. So I can tune and play that camera like a fiddle to my liking...!).

To be sure to have the widest span of values possible, I usually do 3 such 5-exposure-series:

1. - On the meter = 0 EV - that's without any Exposure-Compensation.
2. with EC at - 1
3. with EC at + 1

Giving me a whole lot of values to play with, all the way from -2,4 EV via zero to + 2,4 EV.

The above HDR is made out of 5 exposures together. A motive like this is a chance to take, because the slightes movement of the pine-needles in a faint breeze can ruin the HDR. I was lucky.

Have a nice week-end, Dave!

Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:04 PM   #18

That is just awful.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:04 PM   #19

Awful good
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Not even a tiny-weeny-bit...? ;-)) Ha-ha!

First of all, Chato - I didn't take your initial commet in a critisizing manner and my reply to you was only ment to be kind of 'teasing' you in a friendly manner (notice the 'winky Smilie?), since I am well aware of your rather 'unambiguous campaign' against the use of HDR (and I do not critisize that either, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, which rather favors the use of HDR) and so it was only a gentle 'nudge' between friends.

Secondly, I had to look up 'emphemeral phenomonon' on Theosaurus, since I didn't know the meaning of the word emphemeral. It turns out it's spelled ephemeral (without the first 'm') and so I have learned a new word in the English language today! Thank's, Dave! Indeed it was a phenomena which only lasted for a few hours.

Thirdly, to answer your question - When I shoot for HDR (which is almost all of the time...), I shoot in series of 5 exposures (my camera, the G1 has a phenomenal bracket-function with either 3, 5 or 7 AEB with either 0,3 - 0,5 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV's apart. So I can tune and play that camera like a fiddle to my liking...!).

To be sure to have the widest span of values possible, I usually do 3 such 5-exposure-series:

1. - On the meter = 0 EV - that's without any Exposure-Compensation.
2. with EC at - 1
3. with EC at + 1

Giving me a whole lot of values to play with, all the way from -2,4 EV via zero to + 2,4 EV.

The above HDR is made out of 5 exposures together. A motive like this is a chance to take, because the slightes movement of the pine-needles in a faint breeze can ruin the HDR. I was lucky.

Have a nice week-end, Dave!

I respect the rules of this forum, which is why I haven't posted a shot. My original comment was not intended to egg anyone on, "even a tiny-weeny-bit."

I actually thought about the comment before I made it, and said to myself, "should I be afraid of saying what's on my mind, because everyone thinks ANY mention of HDR automaticaly means I'm turning the knife?

I get a chance to shoot scenes like this maybe once every year. This year, I didn't have a camera. I once saw a scene similar to this, that occurs once in a lifetime, again no camera. And the thought crossed my mind, AFTER I processed your image, that if I was there, I would have taken a hundred different shots from various angles. Thus my question.

Again Walter - stunning photograph!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote