Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:39 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Thanks for the example Dave.

Nice concept although a bit over saturated. I'm coming to the view that HDR is really only suited to special situations such as this. However in this instance, two photos an hour apart and some masked layers may have been just as effective ... personal choice as to what is easier and what gives the most interesting effect.

What does seem surprising to me that in the example in the "Best approach" thread, HDR does not give more detail in the very dark areas, as it is theoretically supposed to do.

Any other examples please ?
Walter S generally uses HDR, and often enough they don't "scream" HDR.

There are also a couple of examples of suberb shots from him where he used HDR and it was totally unnecessary. (Man loves HDR, whata you gonna do?)

Here's an example from him, where HDR made the shot:
Very subtle winter-scene: - Steve's Digicams Forums

And here's an example of where he didn't need it at all:
Steve's Digicams Forums - View Single Post - Frozen Pine-Needles in HDR

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:57 PM   #82

Walter has posted many examples of HDR finals along with his middle exposure, which is the best exposure for the overall scene. To me, his middle shots look flat and bland compared to his processed HDR finals. The finals look clearer, sharper and brighter than the middle shot. And this is the point of HDR. If you are going to compare the output to that done by working on the Raw file, I say dont bother. Comparing one to the other proves nothing as has been said before but there seems to be a blockage somewhere in your thought process. Software like Photomatix does a good job for what it was designed to do. Its A way of doing it. Working with the Raw file is ANOTHER way. Which is better? Well I think thats for each of us to find out and using the method we each find comfortable and satisfying. amcam why are you always trying to prove that there is a better way to do an HDR look than the one embraced by many? Whatever way you like, by all means use it, shut up and take pictures instead of coming in here just to piss people off. You are the most obtuse individual Ive ever encountered. And that is really saying something.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:02 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Walter has posted many examples of HDR finals along with his middle exposure, which is the best exposure for the overall scene. To me, his middle shots look flat and bland compared to his processed HDR finals. The finals look clearer, sharper and brighter than the middle shot. And this is the point of HDR. If you are going to compare the output to that done by working on the Raw file, I say dont bother. Comparing one to the other proves nothing as has been said before but there seems to be a blockage somewhere in your thought process. Software like Photomatix does a good job for what it was designed to do. Its A way of doing it. Working with the Raw file is ANOTHER way. Which is better? Well I think thats for each of us to find out and using the method we each find comfortable and satisfying. amcam why are you always trying to prove that there is a better way to do an HDR look than the one embraced by many? Whatever way you like, by all means use it, shut up and take pictures instead of coming in here just to piss people off. You are the most obtuse individual Ive ever encountered. And that is really saying something.
When we talk about Walter, we are talking about someone who is a really good photographer. HDR, RAW, Jpeg, pinhole camera, I suspect that we would praise his work in whatever file or camera format he choose to use.

HDR wont turn garbage into great, or great into garbage.

But does Walter know this?

That I could actually post a link to a Great Shot of his, in which he takes more pride in the use of HDR then pride in his interesting and well executed take, is revealing.

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM. Reason: typo (one of many - :( )
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:44 AM   #84

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Walter has posted many examples of HDR finals along with his middle exposure, which is the best exposure for the overall scene. To me, his middle shots look flat and bland compared to his processed HDR finals. The finals look clearer, sharper and brighter than the middle shot. And this is the point of HDR...
Just to show what Bynx really means, I'll post one such scene. HDR and the middle-exposure (of 3 exposures), untouched by pp - just cropped to the same hight- / lenght-ratio as the final HDR.

IMO I would never have been able to show that beautiful texture of the tree-truncks without the use of HDR. Maybe somebody else would (although I doubt it), but my knowledge of Ps is very limited.

HDR:

Name:  2009-10-19_0134_WEB.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  233.6 KB
Middle exposure:

When looking at the details in this picture - please keep in mind that this shot was taken with a P&S (FZ-28) and not my G1!

As for the following statement -
Quote:
That I could actually post a link to a Great Shot of his, in which he takes more pride in the use of HDR then pride in his interesting and well executed take, is revealing.
- go ahead and post that link, Dave. Now you have got me worried.....

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:50 AM   #85

Good example Walter. But Im afraid whatever you say or show, some people here are too stupid for their own good. And ours too.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:16 AM   #86

Bynx, Bynx... You need to put your viking aside sometimes.
Like a friend says: patience, patience, patience.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:38 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Just to show what Bynx really means, I'll post one such scene. HDR and the middle-exposure (of 3 exposures), untouched by pp - just cropped to the same hight- / lenght-ratio as the final HDR.

When looking at the details in this picture - please keep in mind that this shot was taken with a P&S (FZ-28) and not my G1!

As for the following statement - - go ahead and post that link, Dave. Now you have got me worried.....

(Might be a fairer test if you posted that Middle Exposure as the same size as the final product?)

But no, I believe there are some details that only the use of HDR can show. I will certainly give it a shot and post my results (good or bad) in a few minutes).

You posted a really wonderful picture of ice crytals and snow on the branches of a tree. I took your middle exposure (An undersized JPEG) and in a few moments duplicated your HDR version...

In fact, aside from the fact that your Middle exposure is cropped differently, so as to leave the dark areas on the bottom - The two versions are indistinguishable from each other.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1061999-post22.html

I would say, that you are both a wonderful photographer, and spend Waaaaaay to much time on using HDR in circumstances where you really don't need it.

Dave
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:51 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post

HDR:

After a few minutes, I easily matched the detail, but not the dynamic range. As I thought, HDR is useful for this shot.

(Err, keep in mind that my version has half the pixels of yours.)

Dave
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:56 AM   #89

Default HDR please rescue me

No way would this photograph be possible without the aid of an HDR program. The very first photograph I took with a FZ28. Never thought much of this scene, that is why the power lines were not removed with a healing brush.
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:05 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
No way would this photograph be possible without the aid of an HDR program. The very first photograph I took with a FZ28. Never thought much of this scene, that is why the power lines were not removed with a healing brush.
Your statement may very well be true. The scene looks like it has no light source at all - Only ambient light.

The value of this image is self evident. I only wonder what it looked like if there was a light source.

Nevertheless, I am not challenging your or anyone elses use of HDR. My own "taste" for replicating the scene as the human eye see's it, is subjective. But the many demonstrations I've posted demonstrate that those who DO want to reproduce what the human eye see's often use HDR when it is not necessary; that many of the claims about HDR are simply not valid.

Dave