Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:12 AM   #11

ok i will have another go when i return from work
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
for whatever reason amcam, for me, your original had some halo above the trees.
I noticed that too above the trees on the left - I think the clouds just happened to be lighter there. If you look at the original edited versions, the one with my program keeps that 'halo' exactly the same. The others seem to have smoothed it out.

[EDIT] Actually I think that is something to do with the small versions. I don't see it in the RAW. Below, I converted the RW2 to tiff with dcraw, resized to 50% to make it manageable, ran it through my program on 'V. Hard' which will have also dropped it down to 8-bit and then added a bit of saturation. Still looking at how to read the full depth file in - not as easy as it should be.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Mar 5, 2010 at 4:34 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:16 AM   #13

This still needs some work but I used dcraw to create a 48-bit tiff and added the code to read it. This is it processed on 'V.Hard' but on the full 48-bit TIFF instead of the 24-bit jpeg.

[EDIT - slightly improved version]

Last edited by MartinSykes; Mar 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:23 AM   #14
Super Moderator

quite a difference when using the 48 bit tiff
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
for whatever reason amcam, for me, your original had some halo above the trees.
Strange, but I thought it looked as though there was a touch of halo above the trees on the left as well. It must have been the actual sky colour.

If you look at my original edited versions, most accentuate and extend the halo along the tree line, whereas my 3rd version on does not. This version is simply an edited RAW with no masking. In a couple of others, including exposure fusion versions, I've masked the tree line to try to reduce the halo.

Martin,
Your last one looks as though it has increased local contrast but it seems to lose detail and realism. It also looks a little heavy on overall contrast and saturation, particularly in red. Interesting how the foreground tree on the left isn't brighter as in Hards80's and mine. Another artifact of HDR is the "dirtying" of the ripples in the centre of the water but this is to be expected with movement.

Last edited by amcam; Mar 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM.
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:46 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Strange, but I thought it looked as though there was a touch of halo above the trees on the left as well. It must have been the actual sky colour.
since it was in the RAW, its just a coincidence the sky color changed that way. very strange indeed
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Martin,
Your last one looks as though it has increased local contrast but it seems to lose detail and realism. It also looks a little heavy on overall contrast and saturation, particularly in red. Interesting how the foreground tree on the left isn't brighter as in Hards80's and mine. Another artifact of HDR is the "dirtying" of the ripples in the centre of the water but this is to be expected with movement.
Yeah - it still needs a bit of work - this is my first RAW conversion and I prefer the jpeg version at the moment. The multiple exposures will help a lot here - those trees are very dark in the midle exposure.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Mar 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:08 PM   #18

Unable to download the middle file. This is based on the under and over exposed. The way this place alters uploads its not a good way to compare from separate computers. This is a lot more vivid than the others posted. It doesnt look anything like this from Photoshop on my monitor. Ive even darkened it more than I would otherwise. It didnt help. Although its brighter Ive maintained the detail in the clouds particularly the white whies just left of center and the top one left of that. After looking at the pic for a minute or so it settles down and looks quite good. But I guess each to his/her own.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Mar 6, 2010 at 4:01 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:19 AM   #19

Best I can get so far from the middle raw. Sky is noisy in the top right but otherwise looking good I think. Reds look better and reflections are cleaner now. [EDIT - sky is a bit better now]

Last edited by MartinSykes; Mar 6, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Unable to download the middle file.
Very interesting look. It's seems to lack a little contast or something I'm not really sure but it's great the way all the green in thetrees has been brought out ... I couldn't get that with the RAW ... so far at least ;-) It seems to have added a reddish tinge overall. Some detail in the darker areas of the clouds has been lost. The muddying of the ripples is to be expected.

What is interesting is that it shows the eagle ... I assume it's not in the central file.

Here's the centre file as a jpg direct from the camera (as with the + and - 3 EV files) as an alternative to the central RAW.

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/1...2/P1000186.JPG

I'm very interesting to see your 3 file version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Sky is noisy in the top right but otherwise looking good I think.
The sky is brighter than the trees and I can't see any noise in the original ... I wonder if your editing has introduced noise ?
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote