Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:11 PM   #21

This is with the 3 shots, the middle shot which didnt fit. My only complaint with the other versions posted is this with a nice bright blue sky like that why are they so dark?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
My only complaint with the other versions posted is this with a nice bright blue sky like that why are they so dark?
I guess it depends on what you're aiming for in the finished picture but in the original the sky *is* much brighter than the trees. With the HDR process you have to lighten the dark areas and darken the light areas so the detail shows up but you don't necessarily need to make them meet in the middle and have everything the same brightness. I wouldn't say either is right or wrong, just different.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
This is with the 3 shots, the middle shot which didnt fit.
Hi Bynx,

I've taken your HDR image and compared it to an edited single RAW. In editing the RAW, the foreground can be brightened (as mentioned by Hards80), the distant trees can be darkened, saturation can be changed as desired, etc, etc. However, I've aimed for a "natural" looking result. Note that the image is Australian bush and bright greens are rare. Australian bush has much more muted, greyish tones.

The edited RAW is on the left, HDR on the right, about 3x magnify.

The HDR is oversaturated giving unnatural colors and if anything, I think the HDR loses detail ! Even the very darkest areas between the trees, where one would expect the HDR to add detail, it loses out to the RAW. What does everyone think ?

Is the HDR adding anything ?

amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:52 PM   #24
Super Moderator

well one problem is that you are looking at resized pictures at 3:1. what exactly detail differences can be seen on an 800x600 resized image?

to get any real appreciation for which method actually brings out the most detail, we would need full size images for analysis. a full size from each method using the most data-inclusive RAWs at similar bit depths, etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:56 PM   #25

If there was no operator intervention on the final output you can talk comparisons but since we are moving the sliders to give any look we want on our monitors which vary from person to person, Id say nothing can be learned comparing the output of Photomatix to going Raw. This is the same as the above with desaturation.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Mar 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:36 PM   #26

Part of the problem here is that none of these images do anything for me. Why bother making these comparisons, using this image? A long discussion comparing merits of various techniques should start out with a decent image.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Part of the problem here is that none of these images do anything for me. Why bother making these comparisons, using this image? A long discussion comparing merits of various techniques should start out with a decent image.

Dave
Good point. Vegetation can have a wide range of color. Something with skin or something of a particular color we are all familiar with or can match is more helpful. It goes back to what I said previously -- the output of the pics posted here are the result of the operator and not the software.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well one problem is that you are looking at resized pictures at 3:1. what exactly detail differences can be seen on an 800x600 resized image?
Here's an 800x600 version of the edited RAW.

Chato, if you have some better images to work with, let's see them !

Based on this one scene, others may but I can't see any benefit in HDR. I'd love to see examples (including the RAW files) where HDR is useful. I'd like to know when to use what tools ... as I'd assume most people would.

amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Here's an 800x600 version of the edited RAW.

Based on this one scene, others may but I can't see any benefit in HDR. I'd love to see examples (including the RAW files) where HDR is useful. I'd like to know when to use what tools ... as I'd assume most people would.

The problem you have is simple. Use HDR and if you like the results then fine. If you do something else to get the look you like fine. But you cant compare one processing against another when there is human intervention.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post

Hey, I NEVER take decent images. Why would I post an image?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote