Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
But you cant compare one processing against another when there is human intervention.
If that is the case and results are at least equivalent, why not always use the simplest approach ... a single edited photo ?

I'd be very interested to see if a photography expert who is expert in HDR can do significantly better with a set of images, than a very average photographic sod like me, with Sagelight and a RAW. Any experts here ?
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:19 PM   #32

Here is my version of your photograph.
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Here is my version of your photograph.
Thanks Ancientritual.

I assume it's HDR ? It appears a little over saturated with high local contrast. A wider halo above the trees helps hide the halo effect. Strangely it looks as though there's a dirty diagonal band through the sky. It looks as though it may have brought out extra detail but it's hard to tell if this is just local contast, similar to an unsharp effect ... an 800x600 would help comparisons.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:22 PM   #34

My try using the three jpeg's merged in Photomatix. No post processing
Attached Images

Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edufloyd View Post
My try using the three jpeg's merged in Photomatix. No post processing
Thank you Edufloyd.

The HDR image is a bit oversaturated and a tad dark. Importantly, once again loses detail rather than adding it, as the theory would have us believe !

It is interesting that the HDR loses detail in both light and dark areas. This suggests that noise from multiple images and slight misalignments detract from any benefit an HDR might add. Perhaps the apparent added detail in HDR's is simply local contrast !?

The edited RAW is on the left ( 4x magnify )

Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:50 PM   #36

Does anyone think that HDR is an improvement in any way, or do we conclude that the edited RAW gives the best result for this high dynamic range scene ?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:03 PM   #37
Super Moderator

i think that we can conclude nothing from this exercise personally, we are talking about 4:1 viewing ratios from small images.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:06 PM   #38
Super Moderator

anyways, its a bit of an academic question anyways. if there is not sufficient shadow detail in a single RAW image, then of course an HDR from multiple images will have more detail in the shadows.

however, if you just make a hdr from that first single RAW, then no, it may have the appearance of more detail due to local contrast enhancement, but actual details will be constrained by the sensor.

if we take this one step further and blend 3 exposures manually using layers, etc, from the 3 same images we make a true hdr from, and then look for detail differences, the true details resolved would probably not be different. as again, you are using 3 images. but again, depending on your skills with hdr vs skills with raw processing, the appearance of details may or may not be enhanced in the HDR from the local contrast manipulation.

so basically, we are comparing apples to oranges, with different skills, making a final conclusion really not possible, in this case.

there are too many variables not held constant.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:09 PM   #39
Super Moderator

also, subjective ratings of what is better is also a culprit here.

i just don't think there is any real way to definitively answer this question, and well that is ok, its good to have multiple ways to combine multiple images. pick whichever one works best for you, and fits your taste in photography.

personally i use both methods within the same image. if i take a 3 step exposure for hdr, i will create my hdr as best i can. as well as processing each of the 3 images as best i can. i will make each a layer within photoshop, and pick the best combination that gives the best results for that scene.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:57 AM   #40

Apologies for raising an old thread but I've been struggling with this image for a while - the strong silhouetted treeline poses a few challenges. Here's a new version with v1.62 of my program using the single RAW and with a little contrast and saturation added afterwards in Paintshop. I think the conclusion I'm reaching is that multiple exposures *can* be better than a single RAW but only if you have the skill to ensure they are well aligned etc. The single RAW approach is more forgiving to the novice. I suspect the single image is also the way forward as camera sensor advancements would imply that eventually a single exposure will be able to capture all the range you could ever want.

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote