Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Audi A6 HDR

I know the powerlines kill the photos, but I'm really looking for some C&C on the HDR aspect....

Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I think its a little too much.

the contours of a car do well with some shadows. so you have lost some of the nice lines due to a pretty strong hdr. you have also lost the black of the tires.

beyond that, the halo's are just too strong here.

for a subject like this, if you want to make it HDR, make it very subtle. but i am guessing this shot probably did not need HDR in the first place.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:54 PM   #3

Thanks, I appreciate the comment, I didn't really think the shot needed HDR, I more so just wanted to play with the software. This wasn't a planned shoot or anything... I agree about the shot should've been much more subtle and when I have used HDR in the past, I have almost always chosen the subtle route, I just really liked the ways the clouds turned out in the heavy HDR here.

As for halo's... I didn't think there were hardly any halo's at all... This is what I think of when I hear strong halo's...

From Simple: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9599/hdrsoftcopy.jpg

(Not meaning to sound overly defensive if that's how it comes across... I appreciate the constructive criticism)

Last edited by inneyeseakay; Mar 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4

I think your first shot is dynamite. Only problem I see is the lack of some space on the right side. The end of the car is too close to the edge of the picture. Other than that the things Dustin spoke of are not applicable to me in the first shot. Tires are nice and black, the angle is great. The wires can easily be removed. Your second shot sucks for all the reason Dustin mentioned. Although a dont see any halo in either pic. And the car should have been positioned to avoid that reflection from the side mirror.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i guess i should have actually commented on the picture itself, besides just the processing, sometimes i get in a hurry.

i really do like the first shot, the angle is dynamic.

the halo's aren't clearly defined like in simple's picture. but if you look at the cloud's in the trees and sky around the car they are bright and natural, but when they are not in proximity to any darker objects, they are dark and muddy.

if you took your original middle exposure and blended it back in with this first shot, to get the sky cleaner, i think it would be quite nice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:29 AM   #6

Dustin, post number 66666 -- you little devil you.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:56 AM   #7

i would like to know how many shots this was and the steps you used +1 or +2 etc?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:01 AM   #8

Hi,

I'm completely new to HDR, but one thing that I've often seen as a result, is a two-tone shadowy appearance, like those 3D-pictures from the Mars landers. You get one shadow in red, and another in green-blue. In the pictures of this thread, you can see this effect in the tree branches. The other day, someone posted a picture of a Beemer parked in front of a B&B. The same effect was visible there. And I asked myself: what the ??? This is all fuzzy!

Personally, I find it very irritating.

Sorry, but that's my 2 Cents.

Regards,
Mark
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:47 PM   #9

The shot doesn't really need HDR because it doesn't have a high dynamic range, except for the highlights on the bumper ... that are still blown out in the HDR !
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
Hi,

I'm completely new to HDR, but one thing that I've often seen as a result, is a two-tone shadowy appearance, like those 3D-pictures from the Mars landers. You get one shadow in red, and another in green-blue. In the pictures of this thread, you can see this effect in the tree branches. The other day, someone posted a picture of a Beemer parked in front of a B&B. The same effect was visible there. And I asked myself: what the ??? This is all fuzzy!

Personally, I find it very irritating.

Sorry, but that's my 2 Cents.

Regards,
Mark
No one has ever said that HDR is perfect. You will want to shoot at base ISO if possible, because HDR has a tendency to bring out noise. That effect in the trees looks like chromatic abberration which again the HDR process will make it more apparent.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote