Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:53 AM   #1

Default Wooden docks in the winter-morning and the -afternoon

I just wanted to show the difference seen in a landscape when the weather changes in matter of hours during the winter, here in Norway. Most of you "old hands" here at Steve's probably recognize this motive as I have been picturing it several times now - but always in different moods!

And this is my "thing" here, I like moods, be it bad weather-moods or good ones with friendly and warm sunshine. I am interested to know if I succeed in conveying this mood to the viewer, as well.

So, here we go!

Resolution: 1280 x 639 pixels - This is a 2-panel panorama.

# 1 - Rather heavy fog drifting in from the sea in the morning, following a bitter cold night (minus 20º C) resulting in this "silvery look" on the trees. This was in fact the day I shot all these "Frozen Pine-Needles"-threads shown here:
- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...edles-hdr.html and
- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...edles-2-a.html

Resolution: 1081 x 540 pixels

# 1 small - For those of you with smaller screen resolution (save you scrolling left-right) :-)

Later on, the sky cleared round about noon with some blue patches, and in the afternoon (16:30 / 4:30 PM) with the sun low on the horizon, I shot this one her, from approximately the same position:

# 2 - It's like: "The grass is always greener on the other side"-like: "The sun always shines warmer on the other side".
With the sun gone from this side, it is 'cold' over here and 'warm' over there on the opposite coast or other side of the sound.

And, since this is a HDR-Forum, I would also like to show this other edit of #2 - this time with increased contrast to show off the clouds a little more, and also to show some texture in the snow.

# 3 - Now, I don't ususally like these "Ultra Contrasty"-pictures and this one is clearly 'over the top' as far as contrast is concerned, but sometimes its all right to show (for the sake of learning HDR) what can be done, and how it will affect the photo and with it, the mood.

...All pictures taken with my LUMIX G1 and the HDR's rendered in Dynamics Photo-HDR, each from 5 exposures with 0,7EV apart.

Edit later: There is actually a 4th picture in this series, posted in the Landscape-forum: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos/167627-warm-cold-winter-panorama.html as I didn't want to post too many copies of the same subject in one place. Post too many pictures, and the viewers don't bother to look....?

CC welcome of course!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 17, 2010 at 2:05 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:22 AM   #2

Walter, all your shots, as usual, are just lovely... so very true to the beauty your country has to offer... oh, what am I saying, your country jok'n corners the market for Nordic beauty.

You asked for some constructive criticism... instead explaining with many words, the lower right foreground takes my eyes in a different direction... so I tend to look at this kind of picture as sort a panorama... so instead of criticism.. I offer you a different perspective... No probs if you don't like it, abut now and then, panoramas do offer an interesting perspective.

MANY THANKS, my Norwegian neighbour for the fine photos!

All the best.

Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:23 AM   #3

Oh, BTW, I like the first two photos the most... they're just so beautiful. Ned
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:31 AM   #4

What a dramatic difference and I like them both. Always a pleasure Walter. Thanks.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5

Ridiculously beautiful (just trying a new superlative Walter). I don't see the need of HDR here.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
...the lower right foreground takes my eyes in a different direction... so I tend to look at this kind of picture as sort a panorama... so instead of criticism.. I offer you a different perspective...

I can see your point and I actually thought of the same kind of crop as you did, but decided against it. Why?

Well, Ned - I didn't want to loose that nice s-shaped walking-path on the left, leading to these white huts, and subsequently to the dock in front of us. It's an important part of the picture and gives it perspective and important depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Oh, BTW, I like the first two photos the most... they're just so beautiful. Ned
The first twoo are actually the same picture, one big and one smaller - but the same panorama...

Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:51 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
What a dramatic difference and I like them both. Always a pleasure Walter. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Ridiculously beautiful (just trying a new superlative Walter). I don't see the need of HDR here.

Thank you both for speaking out!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I can see your point and I actually thought of the same kind of crop as you did, but decided against it. Why?

Well, Ned - I didn't want to loose that nice s-shaped walking-path on the left, leading to these white huts, and subsequently to the dock in front of us. It's an important part of the picture and gives it perspective and important depth.
No probs, Walter, just a different perspective. I really appreciate your photos... with two, the larger one looks fantastic on my screen.

Good work, Walter!

All the best.

Ned
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:27 PM   #9
Super Moderator

these are really nice walter.

i like seeing the differences between 1 and 2, and as such both work really well. i like your foreground use. and the nice dof you maintained throughout. love the golden light in #2.

these would look nice on your wall presented together.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:08 AM   #10

Smile

Thank you, Dustin - I appreciate your evaluations!
:-)