Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
Thank's Walter for these examples - they really make one think about when to use HDR and when it's result would be not what you expect it to be or to look like. BTW, in this thread you call Al your "son-in-law", in your other new thread your "brother-in-law" - what's the truth, Walter?

Thank you, Markus - both for your kind words and for setting my error with Al straight! He is my son-in-law, married to daughter #1

:-)
Just didn't think straight, when I typed yesterday evening - I must stop sipping to that claret when posting...
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:05 PM   #12

I've been out of town and then busy, so didn't respond to this thread earlier. I agree with you totally - I love HDR and use it quite often, but it doesn't always make a picture better. Shadows create a 3D effect (usually) so using HDR to take them out flattens a scene. That's perfect for some things, but not others. In this case, Bahadir hit the nail on the head - having a scientific view of every brick doesn't make it a better picture and definitely loses the mysterious feeling the original has.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:37 AM   #13

Thank you for you comment, mtngal!

Yes, sometimes, covering a whole lot of eye-disturbing details with blessed shadows can be the way to go. And it creates moods too!

Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Thank you for you comment, mtngal!

Yes, sometimes, covering a whole lot of eye-disturbing details with blessed shadows can be the way to go. And it creates moods too!

The world is full of shadows. We live in a world of shadows and contrasts, not monotones.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:26 AM   #15

Just think...Where would Lamont Cranston be without shadows.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Just think...Where would Lamont Cranston be without shadows.
I've noticed that even monotones done with HDR can easily have shadows and contrast added later in Photoshop. Some people seem to feel then when the HDR software is finished, their done. Such is not always the case.

Dave
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
...Some people seem to feel then when the HDR software is finished, their done. Such is not always the case.
Interesting observation, Dave - and I am the first to plead guilty her. But then, what would you know - you don't do HDR's......?

As I said, I am guilty of Dave's accusation, but I am not ashamed, because I feel my photos are done, as far as my knowledge of PP is concerned. You cannot go somewhere if you don't know the road-map!

I guess this will change with time, and with more knowledge of Ps.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Interesting observation, Dave - and I am the first to plead guilty her. But then, what would you know - you don't do HDR's......?

As I said, I am guilty of Dave's accusation, but I am not ashamed, because I feel my photos are done, as far as my knowledge of PP is concerned. You cannot go somewhere if you don't know the road-map!

I guess this will change with time, and with more knowledge of Ps.
You're mistaken...

I do HDR's when appropriate. I use the Photoshop layers menu, not dedicated software.

Nor is it a question of "shame." I absolutely love most of your images; I wish I had your eye for a scene. But it disappoints me when the word HDR is what comes to mind when I see some of them. I say this because I'm under the impression that you want to show all of us what you actually saw, and choose subjects which are often HDR appropriate - That doesn't mean they should being saying HDR out loud.

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 24, 2010 at 3:27 PM. Reason: rewrite
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
....and choose subjects which are often HDR appropriate - That doesn't mean they should being saying HDR out loud.
Well, Dave - This time you are mistaken...

I cannot vouch for what come into your (Mybe, just a little suspiciouse and pre-occupied with 'spying' for HDR-pictures...?) mind when you see a photo of mine, but HDR is certainly not my aim when choosing scenes to photograph. Foremost it is a matter of trying to convey 'feelings', 'moods' and extraordinary and special lightings.

I used to draw (charcoal and pencil) and paint (water colors, and oilpaint) when I was younger, went to many evening-classes to learn 'the trade' so to speak.

When I saw (2 decades ago) what was beeing accepted in the annual (Høstuststilling) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B8stutstillingen National Art Exhibition here in Oslo / Norway, as beeing 'art' and what paintings had been refused, I chucked it all in.

I didn't want to paint anymore, because all my traditional ideals had been ridiculed and being mocked, and sacrificed on the altar of socalled 'modern art' and I lost faith in the modern artist-world who was becoming more and more selv-centered, superficial and cynical (lost for words...)!

A socalled artist producing art....!

In digital photography I found a new way of expressing myself and use what I have learned about the basics of composition, perspective and the use of light and to some degree color as well, in order to satisfy my own creative mind.

In some ways I am trying to "paint" with pixels today, adding, taking away, en etc. until my eyes are pleased.

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Well, Dave - This time you are mistaken...

I cannot vouch for what come into your (Mybe, just a little suspiciouse and pre-occupied with 'spying' for HDR-pictures...?) mind when you see a photo of mine, but HDR is certainly not my aim when choosing scenes to photograph. Foremost it is a matter of trying to convey 'feelings', 'moods' and extraordinary and special lightings.
Since the only shots I've seen you post are HDR, then I have no idea what your saying here. If you're not choosing HDR appropriate scenes, then what are you doing?

Quote:
I used to draw (charcoal and pencil) and paint (water colors, and oilpaint) when I was younger, went to many evening-classes to learn 'the trade' so to speak.

When I saw (2 decades ago) what was beeing accepted in the annual (Høstuststilling) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B8stutstillingen National Art Exhibition here in Oslo / Norway, as beeing 'art' and what paintings had been refused, I chucked it all in.

I didn't want to paint anymore, because all my traditional ideals had been ridiculed and being mocked, and sacrificed on the altar of socalled 'modern art' and I lost faith in the modern artist-world who was becoming more and more selv-centered, superficial and Xxxxxxx (lost for words...)!

A socalled artist producing art....!
On the one hand you are completely correct, and on the other completely wrong. This fetish that is occuring in the Art world, which can be basically summed up by saying, "If I put a frame around it, it's art," is actually not accepted by the majority of artists. This phenomonon had reached a new plateau (or perhaps abyss) by the expression, "Post Modern," coined by Art Historians and critics. I always laugh at that expression - "What comes after Post modern" I ask them, which is always followed by an uncomfortable silence.

Here in New York, you can find the art community thriving, and ignoring this trend, which is coming from no where and going no where.
http://www.newyorkartworld.com/

Quote:
In digital photography I found a new way of expressing myself and use what I have learned about the basics of composition, perspective and the use of light and to some degree color as well, in order to satisfy my own creative mind.

In some ways I am trying to "paint" with pixels today, adding, taking away, en etc. until my eyes are pleased.

I don't have a problem with the above, but I question its accuracy in terms of the work you've posted. "A tribute to HDR," does not scream HDR. Your B&W shot, does not "scream" HDR - Other shots do. Yet I have the distinct impression that with many of the others you also intended to convey what you saw, as opposed to just painting in pixels.

Dave