Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:10 PM   #21

????
arizona-its a dry heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Well, Dave - This time you are mistaken...

I cannot vouch for what come into your (Mybe, just a little suspiciouse and pre-occupied with 'spying' for HDR-pictures...?) mind when you see a photo of mine, but HDR is certainly not my aim when choosing scenes to photograph. Foremost it is a matter of trying to convey 'feelings', 'moods' and extraordinary and special lightings.

I used to draw (charcoal and pencil) and paint (water colors, and oilpaint) when I was younger, went to many evening-classes to learn 'the trade' so to speak.

When I saw (2 decades ago) what was beeing accepted in the annual (Høstuststilling) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B8stutstillingen National Art Exhibition here in Oslo / Norway, as beeing 'art' and what paintings had been refused, I chucked it all in.

I didn't want to paint anymore, because all my traditional ideals had been ridiculed and being mocked, and sacrificed on the altar of socalled 'modern art' and I lost faith in the modern artist-world who was becoming more and more selv-centered, superficial and Xxxxxxx (lost for words...)!

A socalled artist producing art....!

In digital photography I found a new way of expressing myself and use what I have learned about the basics of composition, perspective and the use of light and to some degree color as well, in order to satisfy my own creative mind.

In some ways I am trying to "paint" with pixels today, adding, taking away, en etc. until my eyes are pleased.

A world apart yet it seems that we both have similar backgrounds.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:51 PM   #23

That guy looks like the offspring between Stevie Wonders mom and ET.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Shame! He's an Artisté! (You can tell because he looks more like "Fredie" of movie fame, just hasn't figured out where to get good claws.)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:26 PM   #25

Thumbs down

1) - I say: "I cannot vouch for what come into your (Mybe, just a little suspiciouse and pre-occupied with 'spying' for HDR-pictures...?) mind when you see a photo of mine, but HDR is certainly not my aim when choosing scenes to photograph. Foremost it is a matter of trying to convey 'feelings', 'moods' and extraordinary and special lightings."

1) - And you say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Since the only shots I've seen you post are HDR, then I have no idea what your saying here. If you're not choosing HDR appropriate scenes, then what are you doing?
Answer: I choose a motive / scene because it "does something to my intellect" - tickels me or outrages me, or touches me in some way I will keep for myself - and not because I will do HDR to it. HDR is just the tool for me to get the expression I want - it's like choosing another brush for my painings.

You can believe it or not - I don't care! I don't have to justify myself to you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) - I say: "I didn't want to paint anymore, because all my traditional ideals had been ridiculed and being mocked, and sacrificed on the altar of socalled 'modern art' and I lost faith in the modern artist-world who was becoming more and more selv-centered, superficial and Xxxxxxx (lost for words...)!"

2) - And you say:
Quote:
On the one hand you are completely correct, and on the other completely wrong. This fetish that is occuring in the Art world, which can be basically summed up by saying, "If I put a frame around it, it's art," is actually not accepted by the majority of artists. This phenomonon had reached a new plateau (or perhaps abyss) by the expression, "Post Modern," coined by Art Historians and critics. I always laugh at that expression - "What comes after Post modern" I ask them, which is always followed by an uncomfortable silence.

Here in New York, you can find the art community thriving, and ignoring this trend, which is coming from no where and going no where.
http://www.newyorkartworld.com/
Answer: I tell you how I felt (2 decades ago) in Norway and why - And you ramble on about some art community in New York today - how does that concern me? I am NOT in New York and I don't really care what they do there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) - I say: "In digital photography I found a new way of expressing myself and use what I have learned about the basics of composition, perspective and the use of light and to some degree color as well, in order to satisfy my own creative mind. In some ways I am trying to "paint" with pixels today, adding, taking away, en etc. until my eyes are pleased."

3) - And you say:
Quote:
3) - I don't have a problem with the above, but I question its accuracy in terms of the work you've posted. "A tribute to HDR," does not scream HDR. Your B&W shot, does not "scream" HDR - Other shots do. Yet I have the distinct impression that with many of the others you also intended to convey what you saw, as opposed to just painting in pixels.

Answer: 'A tribute to HDR' was posted in the HDR-FORUM - thats what the theme is in that special forum, HDR - it is to share knowledge of and about HDR and it's many faces and possibilities - If you don't like it, thats your perogative, but try not to impose your misguided meanings onto others.

You are taking one thread completely out of proportion and concept - because it suites you and your misguided agenda of attacking a software!! You are on a crusade to 'ban' the use of HDR - Exactly who do you think you are?

You want me to stand judgement for WHY I shoot a certain scene?

I don't have to! We live in a free world. I shoot it and post it here - If you don't like it - go and stick you index-finger into your navel....I don't have to take that crap of your's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, I am really dissapointed in you and your stubborn attitude. Here I open up to you, give you an rather intimate insight in my personal feelings and try to explain why I am in digital photography, my motives for using a new creative media - and you are trying to miscredit me, my motives and my photographic works.

Who are you to judge?

----------------------------------------------

So, now you know how I feel about you Chato - this is the last time I will debate with you - After all it is not fair that I have to argue with you in English, your language - you will always have the upper-hand on me because of that. So, from now on I will only answer you back in Norwegian - then you know how it feels to have to justify yourself in a foreign language!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post

Lol - I had quite a chuckle when I read your comment, Bynx! Yes, sarcasm is your trade....
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:03 PM   #27

Quote:
1) - I say: "I cannot vouch for what come into your (Mybe, just a little suspiciouse and pre-occupied with 'spying' for HDR-pictures...?) mind when you see a photo of mine, but HDR is certainly not my aim when choosing scenes to photograph. Foremost it is a matter of trying to convey 'feelings', 'moods' and extraordinary and special lightings."

1) - And you say:
Raving and ranting does not become you.

You cannot find one post of mine - Not One, where I challenge just the use of HDR software per se, anymore then you can find me questioning the use of any other technique.

Please give me a link to a picture you've posted that is Not HDR.

Dave

Edited in

This thread was started by YOU as a critique of the innapropriate use of HDR. In your tribute to HDR, I did not engage in discussion about HDR, either pro or con. I simply praised the images. You have a funny way of opening the door on discussion, and then pouring out your frustrations on other people, and DEMANDING that it be shut.

Last edited by Chato; Mar 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:49 AM   #28

This purpose of this thread has lost its intent and has quickly become a battlefield of negative feelings and arguements. We are adults and therefore we should gather are thoughts and emotions before making impulse remarks. When it gets to this point, the lines have been drawn and nothing will be gained. I think we should all shake hands and put this thread to rest...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Thank you bahadir for your insight in my dilemma!
Yes, of course - it's famouse Caravaggio's and to some degree also Rembrandt's gift to the artist world, Chiaroscuro - the obscured light, that is missing from my photos. The so elegant and obviouse feeling of darkness, below that underpass has been erradicated and neutralized by the HDR-process, which after all, is only doing what it is supposed to do.

I might have guessed it myself, but this is what happenes sometimes when working too long on one picture - you get blind to the obviouse!

Thank's again for stopping by with ever so much insight!
:-)).

Happy to know about the painting background of some mates here. As far as I know Bynx also does. Oh, I remember remaining sleepless untill 3 o'clock in the morning in front of an painting which remained unfinished (forever!)
There’s a photographer I appreciate, Trey Ratcliff (having a highly recommended web site), who adds an interting 9th item: ‘Learn to draw’ among his 10 principles of beautiful photography.
Surely one should know the diffrence between ‘shadow’ and ‘shade’ first to go into matters of shading and the resulting modelling. Just like one should know the difference between melody and harmony (relying on the fraternity of arts, if that’s the phrase)
Ah, that being said, one does not have to know the formula of eggs to fry them, of course.
Anyway, below I submit a piece of music which makes it a pleasure to meditate on the ‘melody’ and ‘harmony’ while enjoying a glass of wine...
I used to produce my home made oil paints and now my home made wine to accompany the refinement session in PS following the tone mapping

Cheers,
Bahadir

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x82...ab-canon_music
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
This purpose of this thread has lost its intent and has quickly become a battlefield of negative feelings and arguements. We are adults and therefore we should gather are thoughts and emotions before making impulse remarks. When it gets to this point, the lines have been drawn and nothing will be gained. I think we should all shake hands and put this thread to rest...
Some members, like Walter, have clearly misinterpreted my position on HDR. One member has even gone to the extent of putting quotation marks around statements that I never made.

It's no wonder that some people have come to the opinion that I am "against" HDR - How can one be against High Dynamic Range? It's been an integral part of photography since its birth.

As Mark Twain said, "A lie can go around the earth twice while the truth is still putting its pants on."

I will continue this post in the thread devoted to HDR issues.

Dave