Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1

Talking A tribute to HDR.... ;o)

I have another thread running in this forum, http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...-we-think.html which is kind of "anti-HDR" with examples, etc. This here thread is quite the opposite.

- This is first of all a tribute to the expression of HDR (If you like HDR or not) - the 'feel' and 'texture', the increased color-saturation and the special 'air' created by HDR.

- Secondly this small series is also a tribute to a lens I adore - the Tokina 11-16mm f/2,8. My (Thank you, Maggo) son-in-law Alasdair let me have his D90 together with this magnificent lens for 24 hours, and I went bananas....

Please bear with me as I dish out one (crazy) shot after another, the point of this series being HDR and the special wideangle of the Tokina combined and nothing else! Some golden rules of photography had to make way for infatuation and intoxication by these two 'illnesses'. I was totally smitten and besotten! And I enjoyed ever minute of it!!

# 1 - I just arrived at the coast as the sun was about to go down. This first shot was taken close to two willow-trees, grown at a crazy angle, but accentuated by the Tokina's mighty power! I used one of the tre-trunks to shield the rather strong sun. This is a prime example of what is possible with HDR. Bringing out details and texture of the tree-trunk, shot against this strong sun. No way you can do that in a single shot. It also illustrates the enormouse DOF of that wide-angle lens.

# 2 - Just as the sun was about to disappear below the horizon, I noticed this rather rare occation or "happening", when snow-crystals on the ground are sparkling from the suns rays reflections in the snow. I moved closer and set up my tripod to catch some of those "Snow-Diamonds"! OK - so it's a bit oversaturated, but the snow-diamonds are still sparkling? Right?

# 3 - This picture her is one I love the most, as it really unleashes the power of the mighty Tokina, as well as the power of HDR, which brings out the contrasty details in the icy edge along the curved coastline.

# 4 - In this shot I wanted to bring out the texture of the snow and ice and also some of the texture of the rocks....

# 5 -This last one her is more or less just a "study of texture", both in the rocks and the snow - and of course - The Light!

As I said initially, I plead "temporarely insainty" because I was smitten by the secret powers of the Tokina and - to some extend - HDR's lovely product of Tone-Mapping.....

CC are of course welcome - but I would rather not have a new debate of HDR or not HDR, or if HDR was really needed. I just wanted to enjoy myself here..

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM. Reason: Spelling errors erradicated?
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:02 PM   #2

I knew you would love that lens!!! Beautiful work Walter!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:18 PM   #3

Gorgeous shots Walter!

You know, you can always sell your wife and children into slavery and get enough cash for the lens...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:17 PM   #4

Very nice set Walter. I can already see you stashing pennies away. The point I want to make is, who cares if a photo is done in HDR or any other program. It is all based on what you saw and felt and how you want to convey that moment in time. I have two parts of me that have to be satisfied. The artist and the photographer. You will never please everyone in this world period. People have different tastes. That is what makes us individuals. You are at a level in photography, that will allow you to make your own decisions. The natural eye that you have for composition is reflected in your photo's. Like I said before, HDR's can be corrected, you cannot correct bad compositions.

Last edited by Ancientritual; Mar 18, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:52 PM   #5

Walter, #1 and #3 are especially nice. Rule of thirds effectively applied. I could almost feel the ice crunch beneath my feet in #3. Excellent as usual.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:18 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Walter, I really enjoy your rendition of HDR imagess. Most of the HDR postings I see have a surreal or artificial look to them. Your images on the other hand look vibrant but very natural.These are wonderful examples of the HDR images that I like. You've gotta share your workflow with me!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:34 PM   #7

This is making me anxious for my 11-16 to arrive

Really beautiful shots you have there.

Jeff
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammitt View Post
I knew you would love that lens!!! Beautiful work Walter!

Thank you for your kind words, Bob!

Concerning the Tokina - You are partly to blame for him buying that lens. I showed him som prime-examples of your D90+11-16mm-shots (Christmas, night-time shots, remember?) and he was sold! He had just bought the D90 then.

I have had that admiration for this combination a long time, but unfortunately I do not have a camera (Lumix G1) that allows the Tokina to be mounted.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Gorgeous shots Walter!

You know, you can always sell your wife and children into slavery and get enough cash for the lens...
Thank you, Dave.
I'll have to find another solution to get my hands on that lens, though - Slavery has been abolished for some time here in Norway.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:45 AM   #10

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Very nice set Walter. I can already see you stashing pennies away.
- Like I said before, HDR's can be corrected, you cannot correct bad compositions.

Thank's AR!

Wise words too - I will try to keep that in mind when the HDR-opposition and the "purists" are getting on my nerves....