Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:09 PM   #1

Default A Norwegian winter-sunset i 5 stages:

That evening I went shooting together with my son-in-law Alasdair ( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...-sky-fire.html ) , he with his D 90 and me with my G1 - on a hunch that it might become a "nic'n red sunset" later that day. Little did we know just how deep-red the sun would color the clear and cold Norwegian evening-sky!

So we drove out to the coast and set up our tripods, just in time to watch that sun-disc close the horisont.

What we are seeing here is the eastern part of the outer Oslofjord: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslofjord And if you open this Wikipedia-link and look at the small map on the right-hand side, we are standing just above where it says "Fredrikstad" and looking westwards, towards "Tønsberg" (also on that map). On that first panorama below here, you can see a very pale strip of low land out there. This is the other side of the Oslofjord.

Stage # 1 - Before the sun disappeared. The snow was already dyed pinkish. The wave-like pattern on the surface of the snow is carved by the ever-present wind, blowing quite hard at times, out here on the coast.

Same panorama as above for those with a lesser screen-resolution:

Stage # 2 - It is getting darker and blu'er all around us. The sun went and we thought: That was it. Nice yellow-orangy sunset, but nothing spectacular, really.

Again: Same panorama as above for those with a lesser screen-resolution:

Stage # 3 - But then - we were thinking of packing it in - And almost halve an hour after the sun had disappeared, the red colors started to appear on the sky....

Stage # 4 - A single picture of the fiery red.

Stage # 5 - And just as we thought it couldn't get much red'er - it did just that! An eery feeling with such a spectacular bloody-red sky on the horizon and the scenery behind us was dark and covered with this steely, dark-blue, almost omen-like color.

Another picture of the same evening is posted here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...acks-snow.html

All pictures shot with my Panasonic LUMIX G1.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 23, 2010 at 5:43 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:05 PM   #2

Incredible and impressive images. Wonderful colour.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:19 AM   #3

All of them are very nice. In my humble opinion stage 1 and 3 stand out from the rest in composition, light, and colors. As always your work is a pleasure to look at...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:16 AM   #4

Thank you, again, Walter for braving the elements to bring us such spectacular scenes.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:58 AM   #5

Your shots always are so impressive Walter - and this Norwegian landscape and sunsets are a pleasure to look at.... and you capture them in such a perfect way!

Thank you so much for sharing these stunning shots of a breathtaking scenery!!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:40 AM   #6

Striking images indeed, Walter
The wave-like pattern on the surface of the snow all over the place the grabs the observer with a feeling of awe! Their suggesting the movement of the ever present wind as you explained, provides the image 'time' a fourth dimension, the third of which was provided by the modelling shades with your good use of HDR. I'd only decrease the blue and the magenta selecting the ground in the first picture, retaining the ice blue tone and the reddish tone of the far reaching sun light on the snow however. I wasn't there of course (Ah, I wish I were : ) ...and the picture is striking as it is, as I mentioned above.

Cheers,
Bahadir
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:54 PM   #7

I dont know how I missed this one. But Walter, as impressed as I am of your work, these are the cream of the crop. Outstanding and definately deserve to be hanging on the wall.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:44 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
Incredible and impressive images. Wonderful colour.
Thank you bluenose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
.. As always your work is a pleasure to look at...
Thank you for very kind words, AR - they are appreciated!
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Thank you, again, Walter for braving the elements to bring us such spectacular scenes.
Oh, hell! I enjoyed every minute of it, Walter - ususally it is first on the way home that I feel just how cold it was.
Thank's for your encouragment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...Thank you so much for sharing these stunning shots of a breathtaking scenery!!
Thank you, Markus - for stopping by and commenting my thread. I appreciate it.
:-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
... I'd only decrease the blue and the magenta selecting the ground in the first picture, retaining the ice blue tone and the reddish tone of the far reaching sun light on the snow however. I wasn't there of course (Ah, I wish I were : ) ...and the picture is striking as it is, as I mentioned above.

Thank you, bahadir - for commenting and giving sound advice of improvements. Some day I will know how to do all that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I dont know how I missed this one. But Walter, as impressed as I am of your work, these are the cream of the crop. Outstanding and definately deserve to be hanging on the wall.
You are too kind, Bynx - but I'd be lying if I said I dont feel flattered!

Thanks everybody!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:42 AM   #9

Walter,

Very nice once again. But after such a long snowy and wet winter. The allure of the majestic winter scene does not quite appeal to me right now. I am sure once falls comes again, the allure of the snowy scenes will come back. Forgive the rant, I really love the colors and lighting of this series.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...Forgive the rant...

You are welcome, shoturtle. No problem. I feel the same way, actually - but do not have much choice, living in the North!

But things are starting to get better now, the snow is melting every day now...

Soon there will be daffodils and other flowers which I don't know the name of. Nothing for me to shoot, as I can't stand crawling in the mud and earth to get a shot of small flowers... ..besides I don't owe a macro-lens.