Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:39 AM   #1

Default from Ephesus, the capital of Roman Asia...

Shooting the pictures below at the end of November, I didn’t have to wait for the lasting crowds pass by. Well, any time is a great time to visit the famed ancient city of Ephesus where you can experience a sense of timelessness…

#1. Celsus Library:
To commemorate a highly literate person, Celsus Polemeanus, the Roman Consul and the General Governor of the Province of Asia, this well known edifice was completed in 135 AD by his son Council Gaius Julius Aquila.
At the facade are the four statues symbolizing wisdom (Sophia), knowledge (Episteme), intelligence (Ennoia) and virtue (Arete) attributed to him, who was buried inside a marble tomb beneath the ground floor…
(shot on my way back when the late November sun went weak) The images are 1200px on long side.

#2.

A view of the Celsus Library from the Scholastica Baths

#3.
Just beside the Library is the gate of Mazeus and Mythridates, in Roman triumphal arch style, opening to the agora. It was built in 40 A.D by two formerly slaves Mazeus and Mythridates for their emperor Augustus, who had freed them…

#4. The terrace houses to the left of the Celcus Library.
It was thrilling to wander about where the Ephesians once lived...

#5.
The enterence of Hadrianus Temple (non hdr)

# 6.
Trajan Fountain (non hdr)

#7.
The road you see in front of the theater with a width of 5-6m is the Arcadian Street, once flanked by the arcades to protect the Ephesians from the strong sunlight and rain, was leading to the harbour, which has been moved a few kilometers away by the river Little Maeander...

#8.
The Great Theater on the way to the Celcus Library. Dating back to the 3rd century BC, and then renovated by the Romans, it has a capacity of 25.000 seats. Today, some concerts and performances are held there, which still retain a noticeable acoustics…(just below are my wife, son and daughter having a rest on the seats )

#9.
Now, last but not the least; Artemis, the patron deity of Ephesus whose presence can still be felt! (non hdr)

Last edited by bahadir; Apr 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:06 AM   #2

I really like viewing your photographs of ancient buildings and temples. Nice series. I kind of wish some Roman warships lost there way and made it to North America. They could have started another Roman culture over here. Indians were nomadic and teepee's were not designed for the test of time...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:06 AM   #3

Speechless. Just enjoying in silence the picks and the history lesson. Many thanks!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the great shots. Really interesting trip through time. I really like the interior shot. Im having some trouble with the capitals. What do you call the combination Ionic and Corinthian seen in pics 6? Also in pick 5 the capitals on top of the short columns arent any of the 3. Any idea what they are called?

Last edited by Bynx; Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5

Great shots of an amazing site, Bahadir. Would love to visit some day.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Thanks for the great shots. Really interesting trip through time. I really like the interior shot. Im having some trouble with the capitals. What do you call the combination Ionic and Corinthian seen in pics 6? Also in pick 5 the capitals on top of the short columns arent any of the 3. Any idea what they are called?
They are pedestals, not columns.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:03 PM   #7

These are fascinating photos!!! Lovely composition, absolutely lovely. Really, THANKS for sharing these photos! These are the best I have seen from you. You are really doing well with your camera!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:30 PM   #8

Awesome pictures! I'm another who always loves your pictures of historical sites. What a treat to see such beautiful architecture and think about the creators, centuries ago, carving them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:33 PM   #9
Super Moderator

lovely set bahadir. you captured the details of this lovely place very well. and i enjoyed your introduction.

excellent post, thanks for sharing.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:27 AM   #10

Dear friends, I feel so rewarded by reading your kind words of appreciation coming from your sensitivity, the essential of every art, expressed above in your way. Oh, I still remember drawing pictures of Roman troops enchamping, marching, etc. before I could read and write with a great joy!
And should any of you decide to visit here, please let me know!

The lines below by Poe are the echoes from the ruins answering the saddened poet, which, I feel we share;

‘’….We are not desolate — we pallid stones;
Not all our power is gone; not all our Fame;
Not all the magic of our high renown;
Not all the wonder that encircles us;
Not all the mysteries that in us lie;
Not all the memories that hang upon,
And cling around about us now and ever,
And clothe us in a robe of more than glory."

@ Bynx: As it is known, Romans liked using a variety of orders in their works and the order you mention is Composit. Hadrianus Temple (Picture 5) is in Corinthian order though. The ones you point are pediments as Ordo reminded. Now, although Corinthian order is dominant in this site in general, a good observant like yourself, my friend, notices the Composit order in the next picture : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote