Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:17 AM   #1

Default A Tunnel of Problems

This is one of those HDR's that created problems. Even though I used 9 JPEGS with proper exposure, Photomatix acted like a stubborn mule and produced overexposed lights and light flare on the wall. Why so many JPEGS? In theory low light scenes like this produce more grain. With more JPEGS at different exposures the transition from shadows to highlights becomes smoother thus less grain compared to a 3 or 5 JPEG HDR. However the issue of the overexposed lights still remained and created an eye sore in my opinion. This is the first photo. To correct this I made one of those so called art HDR's which did a fine job with the lights. This is the second photo. I then put photo 2 (art HDR) into PS as my background layer. Made a masking layer and imported photo 1 as a layer. Attached the masking layer to the Photo 1 layer. Selected a small brush and painted through to the background layer. Photo 3 is the final result. This is a very useful when shooting night scenes. I have seen some real nice night shots of major cities, but a majority of them have some lights way overexposed, this procedure may help in that situation. Since this is a forum, we are here to share and learn. I hope this helps some of you...
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:34 AM   #2

# 3 is terriffic with all the values preserved. Good perspective too.

I like this one very much. It has a lot to look at and to study. You have done a great job here, AR!

Thank's also for explaining your work-flow here. It certainly helps me picking up a thing or two I didn't know and never have tried. This is inspiring!

:~)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:34 AM   #3

wow...number 3 has such a depth !! it's almost like it is 3d rendered

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:26 AM   #4

#3 is breathtaking... so many details, so much to explore!! Thanks about the info on your pp workflow!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:06 AM   #5

#3 really stands out I should mention, that's not only for the skillful processing but also for the tasteful composition!
Actually using one, even more of original captures as layers is advised in hdr especially for night scenes, which could also apply to your case here. On my part, I also invariably use Tiff files converted from Raw originals (with the PS) to go into Photomatix, which helps solving out some problems I encountered earlier.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:59 AM   #6

Fantastic job.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7

Default Call me Monk...

... but I would love to spend a week or so in there with a crew of men with power washers and clean that mess up !

I can only imagine how beautiful this looked the day the tunnel was completed and the proud look on the workmen's faces !

Great shots.... how did you gain access here ?
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Super Moderator

ancient. very nice photo, well composed and well processed. i like this one alot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:12 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your comments. This is one of many tunnels metrolink uses in St. Louis. It is a public transportation train, so there is no problem with access. The only problems are security and viewpoints since you are not allowed to cross the grey line. This photo was taken at the Skinker (Wash U) stop and security was watching my every move...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
# 3 is terriffic with all the values preserved. Good perspective too.

I like this one very much. It has a lot to look at and to study. You have done a great job here, AR!

Thank's also for explaining your work-flow here. It certainly helps me picking up a thing or two I didn't know and never have tried. This is inspiring!

:~)

definatly superb , definatly a winner