Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old May 7, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1

Smile Norwegian landscape - Rocks, Heather and Sky:

Originally I had planned on posting this tread in the Landscape-forum, but thought - 'hold on' - we need some new treads here in the HDR-forum as well. Otherwise it might get stale...and since it is a HDR landscape, it might as well be in here...

Now to the title:
The heather being Calluna vulgaris (known as Common Heather). Which is about the only plant surviving out there, right by the sea. The landscape is rather exposed to the elements and very rocky. The constant wind out here (quite sever during winter-time) does not allow any kind of tree to survive, except some Common Juniper which tends to grow 'along the rocky bed' or down in some gorges.

The special rocks out here are full of veins af either Rose quartz or smoke quartz. The rose quarts is dominating and giving the landscape a strange hue of pink all over...

# 1 - This is the Rocks, the Heather and the Sky:

# 2 - a more detailed shot to get to see the veins of rose quartz in the granite.

# 3 - This last picture is more or less just to show you how the landscape really looks like. Here you can find drift-wood many hundreds of meters (yards) inland, washed ashore and thrown inland by violent waves during storms.

All photos by my Panasonic Lumix DMC G1

Wishing you all a nice Week-end!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Walter, another great set

I really liked the golden light, in 1 and 2, which i think was most pleasingly displayed in #2 with the large rock as a more prominent foreground element. and it is probably my favorite shot here.

I also loved the desolate expanse leading to the water in #3, and again the lighting is really nice. another really nice image.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:18 PM   #3

Really like this set - the second one is probably (barely) my favorite, I also like the third one. I've not been taking the time to shoot HDR scenes recently, my lunch hours this week have been spent working. I've missed it, watching the program work it's magic and come up with a cool looking scene. Maybe this weekend I'll get an opportunity to get something that works. Your shots are always so inspiring.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 4:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Walter, another great set...
Thank you Dustin - my own favorite is # 2 as well, because of the contrast between the rocks and the sky / clouds.

Specially the clouds came out rather well this time. I managed to shoot 5 exposures in a rather rapid sucession, without the clouds moving too much. That's usually the problem with HDR.

You'll notice that the clouds on the top-frame of # 3 are blurred because of that. The curse of HDR.

I'll have to get myself a D300s which fires off 5 exposures within 1 second!

Always appreciate your comments!
Old May 8, 2010, 4:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Really like this set... - ...Your shots are always so inspiring.
Thank's for your kind comments, mtngal!

Inspiring each other is the essence of posting here, and I am glad to be able to contribute some. Hope you get some more time to do the shooting you would like to do - HDR or singles.

When I started out with photography, I didn't know it can be that addictive!? - there should almost be a warning (hazardouse to your health...) labeled on every dSLR!

Old May 8, 2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Impressive as always Walter!!
I really like the tones, colours and textures in your pics but this set has a desolation feel that i really love!
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote