Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old May 20, 2010, 9:52 PM   #1

Default Two recent HDR

Two HDR shots I did recently, very different scenes.

This first is a bunch of students, hard at work:

The second was an interesting sky.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not quite sure about how the first one came out, there's things I really like about it and other things I think could be better, but am not sure how to correct it. Both are 5 shot series, handheld and merged in Photomatix.

P.S. Hmmm - looking at the first one posted here, it looks different than how it looked in Photoshop. There the shirt was marginal as far as saturation, but not bad. Here it looks way over-saturated to me. Do others see it that way?

Last edited by mtngal; May 20, 2010 at 9:56 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 9:56 PM   #2

I like both shots. In the first one if you couldnt get the chair in foreground in focus you should have moved it out of the way. Other than that is a great shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 10:24 PM   #3

I don't know why the blues in hdr are so over the top. Works in #2 but not so much in #1. Kind of unreal, fictitious blue. It also happens in some vvcarpio picks.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:12 AM   #4

Haha, the first shot is so cozy ! I just want to get snuggled in with the picture. It screams siesta ! Brilliant capture

The clouds is magnificent HDR I must say. Love the contrasts and color of the sky !

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 8:56 PM   #5

I wish I could have moved the chair, but it's not exactly movable. I should have used a smaller aperture, but I was hand-holding and worried about shutter speed. I actually went back to re-shoot a scene I had posted here before, but they had a display in the rotunda so that wasn't an option. This is a small alcove, I might try re-shooting this one again, with a smaller aperture.

The second one is pretty much what it looked like - the sky is often a bit bluer at higher elevations. I'm going to try lowering the saturation in the first one - Photomatix does emphasize certain colors too much sometimes. The weird thing is that the picture looks fine in Lightroom.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm going to try lowering the saturation in the first one - Photomatix does emphasize certain colors too much sometimes. The weird thing is that the picture looks fine in Lightroom.
Might that be because of different color profiles? like you see it in Adobe RGB inside of Lightroom but you export it with sRGB?

I've got a similar problem with using Dynamic-Photo HDR. When editing it looks great, but then when I push process and it jumps into it's built-in editor the colors and lightning are changed :S getting less contrast and a general blandness of the whole thing :S

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7

Didn't think about the color space - I shoot in sRGB because it can get to be a pain to keep remembering to change color space and so often forget about it when I'm doing other processing things - I'll have to check that.
Old May 22, 2010, 1:58 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i like these both mtngal.

i especially liked #1. its just a nice shot of day to day life, but the hdr gives it a little more interest.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:17 PM   #9

i really like the clouds in the second shot
Old May 22, 2010, 4:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the complements!

Dustin - I've shot this scene a couple of times before, using different lenses. It really needs HDR because of the window faces south and the sun is usually very bright at lunch. And this was the first time I've seen all the chairs occupied by snoozing students - usually someone is awake and studying (or playing on a computer).