Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:13 PM   #1

Default Big Office Building HDR (my very first HDR creation!)

Program used for HDR filtering - AutoHDR [FREE] by Martin Sykes: http://www.martinandanna.talktalk.net/autohdr.html

Program settings used:

Detail: Highest
Strength: Less
Contrast: Original
Saturation: More
Format: JPG
"Quality Boost": Checked
Attached Images

Last edited by The Desolate One; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:17 PM. Reason: To change pics to smaller resolution
The Desolate One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:06 PM   #2

The old adage -- if at first you dont succeed, try try again aptly applies here. Your photo to start with has the moving truck and general overal bad composition. As for an exercise in HDR you have created a very noisy image. The good thing about digital is you can go out and take it again, until you get it right.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
The old adage -- if at first you dont succeed, try try again aptly applies here. Your photo to start with has the moving truck and general overal bad composition. As for an exercise in HDR you have created a very noisy image. The good thing about digital is you can go out and take it again, until you get it right.
Gotcha. I definitely agree with you on the moving truck. Also, you're right about the bad composition of the pic. I was sitting in my car and took the pic about a year ago with my canon powershot A570. Gotta got out and take some NEW pics with my lumix, and find better material to shoot. Something of more "elegance" than a random office building. As far as the noise, I'm using autohdr to filter the pic, and it only uses one image, so I know that I won't get the "thick" level of definition that something like photomatix and multiple images would provide. I'll keep practicing with things as they are for a while, then I'll eventually have to "upgrade" to photomatix. Thanks again for the advice!

The Desolate One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:44 AM   #4

Still only looking on my mobile but the noisy/grunge effect can be reduced by using less detail andore strength. The moving truck is a good example something which would by difficult if not impossible with multiple exposures. I've used it on some of the high speed shots of bursting water balloons etc. And it works well.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Still only looking on my mobile but the noisy/grunge effect can be reduced by using less detail andore strength. The moving truck is a good example something which would by difficult if not impossible with multiple exposures. I've used it on some of the high speed shots of bursting water balloons etc. And it works well.
Seeing this was a single shot was the only reason I mentioned the moving truck. You would never get the shot with Photomatix etc. But shutter speed should have been sufficient to keep the truck sharp. So I consider it more an OP error than a result of multiple exposures. Id like to see a proper work out for the building so its not all full of noise. Just to see the best quality.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote