Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:35 PM   #21

Awesome photos, very beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:44 AM   #22

Verrry nice. The shots of the nave are stunnning. Great pp!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:39 AM   #23

Hi Bynx

I agree with the others - these are wonderfully composed and well crafted images.
The deep red carpet and timber hues work wonderfully together.

The colours in the stain-glassed windows are so rich and deep, without being oversaturated and 'plastic'. Great post processing (as per usual). Thanks for sharing.

So you mentioned that you put together 7 images. May I ask - how much of an advantage is there to this over 3 images?

My cameras can do 3 - and I've done quite a number of 2 or 3 exposure HDRs. But never more. I know I can capture more than 3 manually - but wonder when there is a need for this. Most of my HDRs are landscape.

Looking forward to your reply. thanks again.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:30 AM   #24

Well Paul, I highly recommend taking more than 3. If your shots are 2 fstops apart then you are covering 6 fstops with 3 shots. With 7 or 9 shots you cover 14 or 18 fstops. So much more detail shows up. Now after taking the 5, 7 or 9 shots if you dont need some just use only what you like. In fact try a test. Take your usual three but go so far as to take 7. Then process your usual 3, and then process your 7. I think you will see a difference, particularly if it is an HDR situation with a range from very bright to very dark and everything in between. Thanks for your comments. And again, its nice to see you back.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:08 AM   #25

Hi Bynx

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated. I'll have to try doing 7 shots and first processing just the middle 3, then doing the full 7 and comparing the difference.

I guess I'll only be able to do these (that is a set of 7) on a tripod, as my camera won't auto-bracket that many. Usually I try to do 3 handheld (at high speed continuous shooting) -and often that works - but sometimes if I shift slightly, it's not aligned.

Do you find HDR software (like Photomatix) needs to be very close (aligned) to work well? Again, Bynx - thanks for your continually generous nature in sharing what you do and how too!

It's good to be back.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:30 AM   #26

The nice thing about Photomatix is that it will handle hand held shots that are "slightly" out of register. I dont know how much it will fix but Ive done a few hand held HDR and it does a pretty good job. But a tripod is always preferable. Just because of slow shutter speeds if anything else.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:25 PM   #27

Photomatix is quite forgiving of a bit of camera movement, less so if your subject moves (though the latest version of the program does a reasonable job with slight differences of one element). I do a lot of hand-held series the same way you do - letting the camera fire off 5 shots with one push of the shutter, but I get better results using a tripod and it's more consistent.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:59 PM   #28

Mtngal have you tried HDR from a single Raw file? A good exposure and tone mapping should give a good pic of traffic and moving people, water and clouds.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:03 AM   #29

photomatix ..... if processing one shot has to be raw .... dynamic hdr can be either