Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 10, 2010, 5:59 PM   #1

Default Church in Gravenhurst

Came upon this little stone church surrounded by trees. 7 shot HDR

Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:26 AM   #2

Hello Bynx,
I thought with the harsh shadows and the overall feeling on the light situation it looks a bit to "flat" and could use some more contrast and color. I can't really judge it, of course... still I played around a bit and came up with this version derived from your first picture. The stone structure is much more pronounced here which I find is one of the most interesting counterpart to the trees (structure, color, material). As your image probably was more about the HDR effect - well, with my edit I moved a bit away from that, I know. Still I like the outcome - different people see things differently

Composition is nice btw - the church is framed according to the "golden rule" rather than rule of thirds. Personally I prefer the golden rule... did you crop to get that?

Kind regards,
Th.

P.S. I hope you don't mind me editing here.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:58 AM   #3

thkn77, we are all here to live and learn. Editing is part of that. Thanks for yours. I dont know what the problem is, but pics dont get posted here exactly as they are sent. Either they end up very fuzzy looking or in this case pretty flat looking. If I overexaggerate the contrast it will probably look ok here. Cant figure it out. So I will do that now. How does this look?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 11, 2010 at 6:05 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:06 AM   #4

Each time I try to match the pic from Steves to my original the further away it gets. There is a big difference between Steve's pic and the original. Ok Ive now saved for Web. Maybe that will make a difference. Ok the problem was the file sent was too big and the site then made it smaller causing lots of problems. Ive reduced the file size to 90% of 90% of the 100% original. In jpeg it is 5 which is a medium quality file. But it does look close to my original when I look at them together. I guess it pays to follow the instructions when it comes to posting the pics regarding file size and/or dimensions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 11, 2010 at 6:20 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:00 AM   #5

Hi Bynx

I like how the church 'snuggles' in between the trees. And the HDR does bring out the details of the building surface, etc. The 'golden rule' composition I also like a lot.

About colours / saturation, etc - your first photo does seem to lack a bit of contrast. Then (imho - or at least on my monitor) thkn777's edit looks a lot better, but if anything maybe it is a bit too warm. Bynx, your last two posts of the church seem to have a greenish cast/ tinge to it.

It must be annoying if you find versions are not close on the web as you want / edit! Please don't let this discourage you. Your photos are so often inspiring and memorable!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6

@pj
The warm look comes from applying a warm filter. I thought Bynx original was too greenish and tried some WB adjustment, but liked the image with warm filter more.

@Bynx
I hear you. These things can make me crazy. Images looking different in the gfx program and in the web browser, even on the same PC. Images looking different when printed and so on.

If your images ALWAYS look different in the web my first guess would be: check the RGB profile. It could make a different to embed or not embed it in the image. Also the rendering intend in the image can make a HUGE difference.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7

i always use imagshack to host my images i have metioned before you loose lots of quality if using steves but thats why he also advises to host elsewhere as he doesnt want to bog the forum down