Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:07 PM   #1

Default First HDR

Just tried doing my first real HDR picture. Think I'm going to like doing HDR type shooting as I can see it has have some nice advantages.

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:11 PM   #2

Jim,

Is this a stacked HDR or a single HDR from a jpeg? The people do not show and motion blur for a 3 shot bracket.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:24 PM   #3

It's a three bracket shot hand held. Just very slow moving people which was good for me. Used only the default setting to get an idea of how the program works for a baseline to work from in the future.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:50 PM   #4

It also help the 7d is a machine gun when shooting a burst.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It also help the 7d is a machine gun when shooting a burst.
I wish, I was shooting with a 7D but alas my 40D will have to do for a while to come. Don't think the people were moving as the girl is looking up at the trees.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:05 PM   #6

Really good shot to start with. Lots of nice pure colors. And you picked a good day too. Any wind and those palm fronds would be a blurry mess. The other branches as well. But all are pretty sharp For a first time well done Craig. And a good idea to start with the Defaults to get an idea what to expect. After work in Photoshop is usually necessary to color correct and desaturate slightly for the more real look. Oh and no ghosting. Thats a good thing to get first time.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:07 PM   #7

Bynx,
Thanks, for the comments. You also answered a question I had about editing. That most all editing, cropping, straightening, sharpening and the like should be done after the HDR is made and don't try to make changes to each individually shot.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:46 PM   #8

I've been so busy and am now just getting caught up. I really like your picture, a good one for the first time.

It's interesting that you bring up the order of how to process. I use Lightroom and Photomatix, which has a plug-in so you can automatically export to Photomatix from LR and then it re-imports the new file automatically. That means that there are some things I prefer to do before I send the frames to Photomatix, and some things that I find are done after.

The biggest thing that I do before is correct for CA and PF as much as possible. Too often those things are in slightly different locations on the different exposures (or missing completely on the underexposed shots). Because of that, often they cover a much bigger area at the edges and trying to correct them after the HDR is done is far more difficult. Now that LR3 supports lens profiles, I'll try to remember to apply the profile before doing the HDR - that would correct for CA and any geometric distortion correction would be the same.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:31 PM   #9

mtgal,
Thanks for looking and the tips.