Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:18 AM   #11

Nice set vvcarpio

As said before, these are quite natural looking HDRs - which also for me increases their appeal exponentially.

The grand central building reminds me of a scene from a movie (I think). Maybe 'the day after tomorrow', or one of those 'end of the world' type where some climate disastor or something else happens, and some people are huddled in an empty train station. (anyone else have the same recollection?)

Removing the ghosting of the cars (and some people) does make the image stronger, imho - though I appreciate it's tricky.

The indoor shot is beautifully exposed and detailed.

Well done. thanks for sharing part of the big apple.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:54 PM   #12

Thanks a lot, Paul. I do remember "Day After Tomorrow". It's a similar-looking building, the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, and also 42nd Street as Grand Central.

Yesterday my ND filter arrived -- it's a 106 -- and today was the first time I got to try it. Unfortunately it was cloudy in New York. Still I got off 2 sets of shots. The one in Times Square I'm not sure about because of the thick crowd but this one shows at least some emptiness in the street. The longest exposure with the ND filter on was 1 minute.

#10) Bryant Park corner on 6th and 42nd.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:14 PM   #13

lovely pics, why would a tripod not be allowed but a gorillapod is? Makes no sense whatsoever
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:51 AM   #14

Thanks, NMRecording. Oops sorry I wasn't clear. They don't allow gorillapods either wherever tripods are not allowed. (NYPL and American Natural History Museum, for examples.) So I lay the gorillapod flat on its side and just use it to prop my lens pointing at an angle from a tabletop.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:45 AM   #15

These shots are amazing as your shots always are. Beautiful and a big inspiration.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:41 PM   #16

Thanks, Daniel.

Funny you should mention "inspiration" because in the shot below I took last week, I was actually thinking of the caption, "Uninspired picture of NYC". Uninspired because it won't stop raining and the sun won't come out when I just got my new ND filter to try out.

#11) Corner of 5th and 40th.