Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:17 PM   #1

Default Taxi Line at Grand Central

This corner at Grand Central on 42nd Street is where passengers line for taxis or taxis line for passengers depending on which one is in short supply.

I took this photo this morning under a cloudy sky through a partially dirty office building window. I used DPHDR on 5 shots and Topaz Detail's "micro contrast enhancement" preset on the resulting 4592x3056 image then shrunk to 1024x668, gave contrast, and removed fringing using PSE7.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:11 AM   #2

I love how the buildings came out. I'm not so sure about the ghosting/movement. It's better than the usual HDR ghosting because of the slower shutter speed it looks like it's just slow shutter speed motion blur. I can't decide if I like it or not. It seems appropriate for New York, so I think it's effective. The more I look at it as I type, the more I like it. It's certainly a unique way of looking at the city.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the input, mtngal. You put my thoughts into words especially about the ghosting. Initially I can't pinpoint what didn't look right, now I have a better idea. I tried again this time removing ghosting from the lined taxis. Hopefully this one's a bit better.

#2)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4

I thought I'd add some more attempts at eliminating the crowd and most cars using slow shutter speeds and HDR.

#3) The two stone lions at the entrance of the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue actually have nicknames. This one is "Patience".

#4) While this one is "Fortitude".

#5) Corridor to the side of the dining concourse at the lower level of Grand Central Terminal during morning rush hour. Trains pulled in and commuters were constantly walking in front of my camera while taking this bracket of 7 shots.

#6) Street level of the Helmsley Building during morning rush hour. Behind it is Grand Central Terminal where workers are streaming out of to the right.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Sep 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM. Reason: I typed "two stone lines" when I meant "two stone lions"
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:46 PM   #5

I always love photo-realistic natural looking HDRs. I liked the angular sun rays in the left building in #3. Very nice work. Keep it up!

Last edited by Subhs; Sep 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:31 PM   #6

Thanks a lot, Subhs.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:09 PM   #7

I like your second edit better - very nice. And the other pictures in this thread are really outstanding, especially your interior shot. Do you use a tripod for these? I can't imagine getting pictures like this, with the slow shutter speeds you must be using, without it. I just can't quite imagine stopping in the middle of Grand Central Terminal or on the sidewalk of a busy street and setting one up. So I just have to ask.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:24 AM   #8

Thanks a lot, mtngal. Yes I use my gorillapod. For the underground-cavern-looking shot at GCT, the walkways are sloping so it might look like my camera is elevated higher when actually it's on my gorillapod just a few inchess off the ground.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:46 PM   #9

Interesting! I have a gorillapod and like it when I wrap the legs around something. I don't have much luck trying to use it like a traditional tabletop tripod, the legs collapse with the weight of my camera and lens. I was using a pretty heavy lens though. I think I should try it again with a lighter combination and try something along these lines.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM   #10

So far, my gorillapod is holding up my Tamron 18-200mm lens no problem.

Where any sort of tripod even tabletop tripods aren't allowed (like in the New York Public Library), I still use my gorillapod. With legs straight, I lay it flat on its side on a surface and use it to prop my lens to point upward. The gorillapod's legs are made of rubber material so they're non-skid and hold my camera in place even as I dial to different shutter speeds between shots for later HDR processing.

I added some more pics. These are taken this morning also with slow shutter speeds to eliminate the crowd. I used Topaz Adjust's "Detail Strong" on all three.

#7) Fruit stand at Radio City Music Hall.

#8) Initially when I started taking pictures, Radio City Music Hall looked like this. Then someone in building management must have seen me and said, "Goodness gracious, someone's taking our picture! We must look our best..."

#9) "...Turn on the lights!"

These are taken early in the morning before 8 am. It's impossible to take these pics later in the day as people sit around the water fountains.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Sep 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM.