Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:32 PM   #1

Default First try at HDR

I have wanted to try the hdr software for some time but did not take the time until now. I am sure glad I did.

After reading the Photomatix instructions I saw that a bracket of photos two stops apart was recommend so I ran down to the local park to shoot a few photos to experiment with (#1 was one of the shots). I then started looking through photos I have taken in the past most of which were bracket only 1 stop apart (photos 2- 4) and worked on some of those. Let me know what you think of the results.

Comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Tom
Attached Images

schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:01 PM   #2

IMO, the last shot (flowing stream) is your best effort.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:06 PM   #3

I have to agree with Walter, I like the results of the last shot the best. I do like the two waterfall shots, but they're a bit soft and I think you could probably get pretty close to the result without using HDR in my opinion.
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:29 AM   #4

There we go again, suggesting you NOT do HDR because they dont understand it. Oh well, glad you did otherwise they wouldnt have been posted here. All have nice compositions. and excellent processing. Nice natural looks to all and no bummer skies. I dont know what hoffam is talking about softness with the waterfall pics. They both look nice and crisp to me. The only thing I can see I dont like is the reflections on the right in #1. Looks like ghosting to me. But all in all, an excellent job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:53 AM   #5

I like #1's composition but the last one is a wall-hanger.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:53 AM   #6

I dont know. The trees just look soft to me, or maybe I'm seeing a hint of ghosting in the trees. After taking a second look, I think maybe just in the first waterfall shot, not so much the second, or who knows, maybe I'm losing my mind
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:06 AM   #7

Walter, noffam, Bynx and vvcarpio,

Thank you for your comments. Of the 4 shots 1 and 2 seemed sharpest at 100% and #4 seemed softest.

I have edited these in Elements and could not get results I was happy with. It could just be my editing skills but the HDR seem to take it the image quality to new level.

Also as you can probably tell, I was going for a natural look.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:01 AM   #8

I love the color of the rocks that came out in the last one! I see the reflection ghosting in #1 as well. It's to be expected I think since it seems there was a bit of ripple in the water.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:23 AM   #9

Its a big problem seeing lo res images at such small sizes. We cant blow them up and take a look at questionable areas. One thing I have noticed now is the speed of the water in 2 & 3. I wish it was either moving faster or slower. As is its blurry looking. I like it when it is like smoke or ice.

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:36 AM   #10

I attached a couple of 100% crops from #1. The first crop from the trees has the ripples in the water and I assume the ghosting that is mentioned. I know the ghosting is a result of motion between the images but I have trouble identifying it in this image. The second crop shows some imperfections in the surface of the water.

I know there is a setting when importing the images to help with the ghosting. Would that fix the reflection of the trees? For the imperfections in crop two I assume the fix would just use the healing or cloning tools?
Attached Images