Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:04 AM   #1

Default Sunrise for MTNGAL

I took a 3-shot (handheld) HDR of a sunrise at a nature preserve near here -- across PCH from the ocean -- after your comments about Photomatix not doing well with sunrises. Here is the Photomatix Pro v.4 result.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:06 AM   #2

I then ran it through Topaz Adjust and Denoise. Of course, when it comes to HDR everyone has different preferences -- so it's hard to be objective in a way that would please everyone. Not sure which version of Photomatrix you are using, but I've been quite pleased with Pro v.4.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:51 AM   #3

Wow, sometimes it pays to get up early. As I write this at 4:51 am.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:52 AM   #4

Very nice shot - I think I could only come close if I used a tripod and had the camera set to 100 ISO - my camera is fairly heavy-handed when it comes to noise at high ISO and Photomatix always brings out the worst when processing sunrises.

I used to get along better with one of the earlier versions of Photomatix, now I'm using whatever is the new version. It's nice to have the presets because it's easier to go between the various methods it has, a very welcome change. I used to mostly use the default settings and add contrast in LR, but now I'm finding myself playing with smoothing and strength much more, and getting more frustrated.

I'm still not sure I'll want to buy Nik's software since I already own Photomatix. The sunrise photos were clearly superior but the better ghosting in Photomatix is very big to someone like me who mostly hand-holds their sets (not that I'd be in an either/or situation, I can always keep Photomatix).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote