Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:19 PM   #1

Default Photomatix Pro + Topaz Revisited

Another example of combining HDR with Topaz. Here is the middle exposure of a 3-shot photo of a '57 Oldsmobile.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:20 PM   #2

Here is the Photomatix Pro v.4 HDR result
Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:22 PM   #3

Finally, I brought it into Topaz Adjust for some tweaking and then Topaz Denoise. Of course, this is done to my own particular "taste", but I think it shows how the 2 programs together can provide even more flexibility and reveal even more features of a subject. Comments?
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter C; Nov 8, 2010 at 5:27 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:34 PM   #4

That final one is a killer. Great job Walter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:30 PM   #5

Hi Walter,

I do very much like the last version all except for the sky- which to my eyes- is too dark and has a fair amount of noise.

As so often happens to me when I play around with Photomatix, when I want to dramatize the subject in the image, the sky often times, gets dark and a lot of noise creeps in.

When that's happened to me, my solution- and not always with a great deal of success- is to go to Adobe Camera Raw and adjust the noise reduction slider, color noise slider and then adjust the fill light slider up.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Walter,

I do very much like the last version all except for the sky- which to my eyes- is too dark and has a fair amount of noise.

As so often happens to me when I play around with Photomatix, when I want to dramatize the subject in the image, the sky often times, gets dark and a lot of noise creeps in.

When that's happened to me, my solution- and not always with a great deal of success- is to go to Adobe Camera Raw and adjust the noise reduction slider, color noise slider and then adjust the fill light slider up.

Zig
As you see, Photomatix only darkened the sky enough to recognize the cloudiness. It was Topaz adjust that make the sky even darker, which I actually like for this scene and the treatment of the car. As I said, its a personal preference and one that is fully adjustable in both Photomatix Pro and Topaz.

I can't see how your "solution" would work here since the output from Photomatix and Topaz is a JPG file...not RAW.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
As you see, Photomatix only darkened the sky enough to recognize the cloudiness. It was Topaz adjust that make the sky even darker, which I actually like for this scene and the treatment of the car. As I said, its a personal preference and one that is fully adjustable in both Photomatix Pro and Topaz.

I can't see how your "solution" would work here since the output from Photomatix and Topaz is a JPG file...not RAW.
Hi Walter, You are absolutely right, in that, it is all personal preference. And, if it pleases you, that's great. You did ask for comments, so, I did. I agree that the treatment of the car is both dramatic and effective. I like that a lot.

By the way, the latest versions of Adobe's Camera RAW v6.2 or greater, do a wonderful job of processing both JPEG and RAW files. I shoot in jpeg only and use the ACR program for almost all my file editing.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote