Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:15 PM   #1

Default Into The Sunset

Here is my second try at HDR (Photomatix).

I ran down to a favorite spot hoping to catch some nice clouds in the sky, as the sun went down, I was treated to some much better than I expected.

I had some problems in the silhouette of the trees that I am not sure how to correct?

Comment and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:55 AM   #2

Hi,

I don't mean to be critical of someone else's work but since you've asked and no one has responded to date, this is what I think:

I keep looking at your images and thinking to myself that there is just too much structure(small tree, brush etc.) that ends up confusing my eyes. I'm not sure what I should be looking at.

In all the frames there is a strip of land that separates the water in the foreground from the main part of the lake. Not sure if it's possible, but I would try taking the same shots from that vantagepoint.

In my mind the the dramatic colors in the sky and the subsequent reflections coming off the water would have been spectacular that evening. That in and of itself would have been enough IMO.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:41 AM   #3

Before I read the good response from zig I was thinking the foreground is just terrible. By that I mean not pleasing to the eye. You have a great sky, the far land makes a nice silhouette and any foreground is unnecessary. If the foreground was neat and clean looking it might work, but its not and it doesnt. I think the problem here is composition. When you look in the viewfinder, think to yourself, "would I hang this on the wall", just before you click the shutter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:20 PM   #4

I like the HDR (technical) part of the pictures - it's quite well done, especially the third one (at least on my lousy monitor at work). While I suspect what you were thinking in a couple of them - having the logs lead the viewer into the reflections and sky - it doesn't work for me. I agree with the the above on the foreground element not working. Of your 4 shots, I like the 3rd one best - the clutter in the foreground is kept to a minimum and it's in silhouette, so it fits in better with the reflection/trees.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:41 AM   #5

Zig, Bynx & Mtngal,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is the critical comments that help us all get better.

For some reason, I have been hung up in the mode of trying to compose my landscapes with some foreground in the image I guess I need to rethink my composition a bit.

I really like the colors in 1 & 4 above, but something did not set right with me (which is why I posted them here). Now that you have pointed out the clutter it make sense to me.

My favorite was number 2 above. After looking at you comments I did a new crop cutting out more of the foreground and like it better. I posted a two image cropped tighter below. Is this better? Feel free to recropped and post the images if you would prefer something else.

Tom
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:43 AM   #6

I also had a problem in some of the trees and am not sure how to correct it.

It looks like the trees and surrounding sky are coming from the darkest image. Iím not sure how to correct it in Photomatix. One thought was bring the HDR image and middle image and try to blend that area together in elements?

Tom
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:07 AM   #7

Hi,

All the shots that you reposted are significantly improved, in that they allow you to see the colors of the sky and it's reflection and less clutter. My favorite is #1. But that's me someone else may prefer another one.

I also lightened it up again. Minor quibble to me but the sun's reflection(I think) should have reflected off the trees on the left shore a bit more. By lightening it a little, it looks more realistic IMHO.

I'll let Bynx and others answer your questions as with how best to specifically deal with HDR adjustments as they have more experience in those matters than I.

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:10 PM   #8

That is a grelly good edit Zig.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I also lightened it up again. Minor quibble to me but the sun's reflection(I think) should have reflected off the trees on the left shore a bit more. By lightening it a little, it looks more realistic IMHO.
Zig,

I really light the brightening of the trees.

Thanks for your comments.

Tom
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:56 AM   #10

Hi schent1

Thanks for sharing, and I think you've received a good set of comments by folks here (I agree re the clutter, lighting, etc).

The 2nd set you posted are definitely an improvement imho.

Be careful to keep your horizons straight, e.g. the first one is down on the right.

I love the colours though!

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote