Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:16 AM   #1

Default HDR/ACR6.2/ORTON image

The following is a shot from New York's Central Park, a beautiful as well as a photographer's dream for having so many places to take photos.

Anyways, I always liked this shot but it needed a lot of adjustments. Since I don't live in New York, it's not a simple matter of going to Central Park and just reshooting the image.

The 1st is the original OOC Jpeg. With the 2nd after having run it through Adobe's Camera RAW v6.2, then Photomatix Light 1.0 then a little touch of the Orton affect.

As always, comments, suggestions and critiques are appreciated.
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:21 AM   #2

Its not bad, but it didnt need the Orton effect. Dreamy woodland settings is ok sometimes. But concrete is hard with clearly defined edges.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks Bynx.

As I keep looking at this photo, it's the composition that probably bothers me more than anything else. I liked it originally because of all the angular lines, arches, and details. In retrospect, I should have taken it from a lower angle providing the viewer with more to see inside and then into the courtyard.

I guess it gives me a reason to go back to Central Park next Spring.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:59 PM   #4

Zig,
It certainly brought out a lot of the detail in the shot. Improved the overall color which made much more interesting to me. I even noticed the sign on the bridge in the upper left after some green was let into the trees at above that. It drew my eye to the spot more readily. Anyway, overall I think it was a very nice improvement to the origional.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:03 PM   #5

I like the colors you brought out, but yea, I don't think it's a good candidate for orton.

Also, I think you nailed your own critiqe when you said "In retrospect, I should have taken it from a lower angle providing the viewer with more to see inside and then into the courtyard."
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i also agree with your perspective critique. not many things look good when shooting down on them. you will get more depth shooting lower and maybe timing it so there is someone doing something in the walkway, to give it a bit of an anchor. like leaning on the column or walking with a shadow cast, something like that.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:49 PM   #7

+1 A weak composition.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:43 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

I know that it's not easy, at times, to be totally honest and tell someone that the work they just posted for critique is just not any good and they need to take a hard look at their results objectively. But that's the whole point of this "Post your Photos" forum.

I appreciate your honesty.

Zig

Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9

Zig, I admire your poise in taking criticism. It shows a strong charactor, and a willingness to learn from errors. I think your last post is more inlightning and informative to us who are beginning the photographic effort than you may realize. Thanks for that my friend!