Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:28 PM   #1

Default Home Sweet Home -- LR

Here is a 3-frame HDR of our living room using Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust and Denoise. I'm posting another HDR from the opposite angle on the Biweekly Challenge forum. C&C welcome.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2

It shows off your living room well.

Very tricky to get these indoor (with windows open) shots worked well - but you've done a very good job.

The outdoors has a slightly blue-ish tinge which annoys me somewhat, (possibly colour imbalance between warm indoors / articial lighting and weather conditions outdoor).

There is some softness at the lower left corner and the couch bottom right (that might be dof issue) - however all tricky, and I'm just nitpicking as you wrote C&C welcome.

However still a good one. I preferred the shot in the other forum... so well done.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:30 PM   #3

Glad I looked at your one in the biweekly challenge before I actually posted a comment here.

My own personal opinion and nothing more: I looked at this one first, and there was something that bothered me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thought it was the processing style you had used, but after looking at the one in the biweekly challenge I realized that wasn't it at all. The processing is excellent for bringing out details and capturing the view out the windows, where you wouldn't be able to do that normally. But this style makes the room look fairly flat. In this picture you have straight, vertical walls, but your wide angle caused distortion of the table on the left (it looks like its tilted), and that plus the angle you used to take the picture makes the furniture look sort-of off-kilter, which the style's flatness just accentuates. The slightly oof chair in the foreground adds to that feeling for me, rather like trapping me in the room or something (don't know if that makes sense, I'm not good at putting such feelings into words and I rarely shoot interiors so don't know the best technique for shooting them). Your other picture doesn't bother me at all in the same way - I quite like that one.

What I find interesting is that at first I thought it was the processing style (I'm really not a fan of it though its effective for certain pictures), instead of the composition that I was reacting to. Thanks for pointing out the other picture, I found the two to be quite educational.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
It shows off your living room well.

Very tricky to get these indoor (with windows open) shots worked well - but you've done a very good job.

The outdoors has a slightly blue-ish tinge which annoys me somewhat, (possibly colour imbalance between warm indoors / articial lighting and weather conditions outdoor).

Paul
It was grey and cloudy all day today (Yes, even in Southern Calif.), which probably accounts for the blueish tinge.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
In this picture you have straight, vertical walls, but your wide angle caused distortion of the table on the left (it looks like its tilted), and that plus the angle you used to take the picture makes the furniture look sort-of off-kilter, which the style's flatness just accentuates. The slightly oof chair in the foreground adds to that feeling for me, rather like trapping me in the room or something (don't know if that makes sense, I'm not good at putting such feelings into words and I rarely shoot interiors so don't know the best technique for shooting them).
When you are shooting wide angle (in this case 16mm on a full-frame sensor) you can't avoid some distortion, such as the table at lower left. I could have reduced the effect by lowering the height of the camera, but then I wouldn't have had the height needed to show the features of the room. In other words, If I had the camera 20 inches lower the table wouldn't have seemed distorted, but you wouldn't have seen the entire room as well -- some of which would have been hidden behind the chair on the lower right. It was the best solution in my view. As far as your comment about appearing "flat", I don't see that myself. Maybe others would comment on that (please). -Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:26 AM   #6

Very nice shot and a very nice livingroom.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Very nice. I like the detail on the rugs best.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Hi Walter,
Thats an amazing detailed shot of you room, Beautiful. Those leather sofas look amazing.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:02 PM   #9

BTW, thank you for having us over just kidding...

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:00 PM   #10

Hmmmm. Well, make yourself at home why doncha? ;-)