Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:22 AM   #11

Thank you very much for that free lesson Walter, I would imagine I could have worked all winter and never thought to use the sun setting on a cloudy day, nor the reason for doing so. Very thorough answer. i wish you the happiest of holiday cheer.... Frank
Sorry about the questions, but as I am learning I find it rather delightful to ask them of someone who's work I admire.. but I do have another.. How do you know what aperture you want to use. Is it by trial and error or is it experience? Is there some scale you use depending on the light available that you have memorized or have on a card? Do you take multiple pictures using varied settings on the aperture keeping the best one out of the set? How do you know?

Last edited by hkmp50; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:36 AM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:36 AM   #12

you have a very valid point about the RAW thing... it was hard for me as well to go to RAW from JPGs because as you say, the memory and space required is emmence compared to JPGs.
But...the gain in information within your shot is incredible to say the least.
Quote:
but do not see the sens in it, as you in the end have to convert the (x-bits) RAW-file into 8-bits JPEG's anyway, to be able to show in on Steve's Forum.
this is my workflow with HDR
  • Shoot RAW
  • Import to Lightroom
  • Merge in HDR software
  • Back into Lightroom as 16-bit .tif
  • Editing within Lightroom or Photoshop, saved as yet another .tif so that I only have non-destructive workflow
  • Export to JPGs for web or whatever my needs would be as 8-bit

The point Im trying to make is that for editing purposes, the RAWs are much better and that, sure the JPGs do look 99% the same when you've converted them, but there's no power in your editing now that it's a JPG when compared to JPG.
That being said, you should still use JPG if you don't feel the necessity with all the excess use of the other bits in a RAW file.

and seeing as these pictures come from a jpg user I must say that your eye for balance within a shot and using the camera is just spot on !

Take care, min norska granne !
/Mikael

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:49 AM.
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
They all say, you get a much better dynamic range by shooting RAW - something I don't deny - but do not see the sens in it, as you in the end have to convert the (x-bits) RAW-file into 8-bits JPEG's anyway, to be able to show in on Steve's Forum.
Thats true if you only use the picks for forum posting. But if you intend to print your picks, it's much more controllabe to shot RAW and then convert to TIFF. With my actual camera that gives me a file about 40-50 Mb, and thats a lot of info that will aloud me to print to 1 meter (40") and more and still keep a lot of detail and dynamic range.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
...that will aloud me to print to 1 meter (40") and more and still keep a lot of detail and dynamic range.
Thank you for your comment on the above theme, Ordo!

I see your point when it comet to print so big, but honestly - how many times do you print anything in 40"-size?

My photo-printer only prints in A1 and I have yet to shoot a picture that requires 40" printouts. I am not a professional photographer, and not making any money of my pics and at the most, my pictures ar getting seen by other photographers on forum-sites (in JPEG), so this is purely a teoretical question for me.

But thanks all the same, for contributing with your view on this matter, Ordo - as I value your opinion quite high!
:~)

...and when you are talking about file-sizes of 40 to 50 Mb per file, I think my conversion from JPEG-shooter to RAW-shooter wil continue for quite some time yet...!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
Thank you very much for that free lesson Walter, I would imagine I could have worked all winter and never thought to use the sun setting on a cloudy day, nor the reason for doing so. Very thorough answer. i wish you the happiest of holiday cheer.... Frank
Sorry about the questions, but as I am learning I find it rather delightful to ask them of someone who's work I admire.. but I do have another.. How do you know what aperture you want to use. Is it by trial and error or is it experience? Is there some scale you use depending on the light available that you have memorized or have on a card? Do you take multiple pictures using varied settings on the aperture keeping the best one out of the set? How do you know?
Hummmm trade secret I take it... Frank
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
Hummmm trade secret I take it... Frank

No, Frank - It's no trade secret, but its a fairely complex question that needs a fairely complex answer if you want an answer that will satisfy you. All of which I don't have the time to start writing just now.

We do have dinner-guests in the house, and I only sneek off, once in a while (guildt-ridden...), to have a look at Steve's...

See?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
No, Frank - It's no trade secret, but its a fairely complex question that needs a fairely complex answer if you want an answer that will satisfy you. All of which I don't have the time to start writing just now.

We do have dinner-guests in the house, and I only sneek off, once in a while (guildt-ridden...), to have a look at Steve's...

See?
Yes, I had no idea,. did not try to push, sorry if it looked that way, my apologies... Please take your time and if you want instead of posting here you can send me a PM when you get time I will be happy to wait patiently Thank you, Frank
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:40 PM   #18

Great shots Walter. Living in area with a lot of snow and gray days this time of year, i had wondered what would happen using HDR.
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:16 PM   #19

Thank you, schent1 - I appreciate your comment. I normally use (very conservative - so you would not be able to notice) HDR on almost everything - well, I only do landscapes anyway.

Best regards,
Walter_S
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Both spectacular. HDR worked great here and in my monitor it gives like a 3D effect.
mine too the trees look awsome