Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Frozen Landscape in HDR

The other week we had a sudden "mild" day - after weeks with sub-zero (10 to 15 Celsius) temperatures. That mild day started out with heavy fog and sea-smoke (because I live near the sea) which froze on the trees by the shore, transforming the landscape to fairy-tale like scenes, which I went out to capture.

Now, this very flat light - as it seemed when I shot the pictures - is not very exciting for a good picture. So I tried to apply HDR to it - and it really improoved the shots.

Name:  1_s0_12_08_0209_10_08_07_06_EC_Def copy5_1020x627_85%.jpg
Views: 13557
Size:  186.6 KB
Narnia 1

Name:  s0_12_08_0039_40_38_37_36_EC_77Sky copy_1020x615_90%.jpg
Views: 9054
Size:  172.1 KB
Narnia 2

Now, my experience with HDR is that it ususally enhances colors / increases color saturation - but not this time, as there were basically no colors, other than blues! No sun - no colors. And the sun was certainly blocket out, alltogehter.
But HDR enhanced the depth in the pine-trees, doing away with the otherwise dull fog-feel.

Thank you for dropping by!
:^)

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:46 AM   #2

Both are nice but I like #1 best...

Can't tell you why, just do...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:13 PM   #3

Both spectacular. HDR worked great here and in my monitor it gives like a 3D effect.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:29 PM   #4

These are really awesome. That first one has lots of depth and both have a wonderful feel to them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:31 PM   #5

ooooo Super cool shots Walter. 1 is my fave.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:57 AM   #6

Great shots, Walter_S

Even before I saw your 'Narnia' captions, I had thought "This looks familiarly like a scene from the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"!

Love the 3 D feeling, I think HDR can often give that effect, and you haven't overdone it (as sometimes HDR can easily be overdone) - so that adds to the 'real' feel!

The 1st photo is a stronger composition, in my humble opinion -the 'frame' of trees is more 'finalised' - thus I like that more.

Thanks for sharing... but BRRRRrrrr... I prefer warm weather! (Phew - it's 40 degrees Celsius here this week in Australia!)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:42 AM   #7

wow that's one tack sharp lens you got there Walter !
Love both of these.. I wouldn't be able to pick a winner for these... There's too much I like in both
good handling of this HDR. Very neutral and just stunning.

Take Care //Mikael

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:30 AM   #8

Thank you all for your kind words here. I really appreciate your comments.

Wizzy - my own preferrence is the order in which they are presented.

Ordo - This "make-belive" 3D-feel is what made me use HDR, yes.

mtngal - thank you for stopping by here and giving your much appreciated comment.

condorman - glad you liked them in the same preferrence I do.

pj1974 - its nice that you recognised the "feel" of the picture (specially #1) as that of Narnia (as it's called here in Europe). The reseblance is quite good - I must admit. :^) Thanks again for your comment.

Acapulco / Mikael,
this lens I use - Nikkor 16-85mm is quite good and I use it for 90% of my landscapes, for wich it has the perfect focal length. Thanks for your comment.

Best regards,
Walter

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 28, 2010 at 7:20 AM. Reason: Changed "recogniced" to "recognised" - :o/
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:33 AM   #9

Walter, these shots are simply spectacular. I have never seen any better of this type. I cannot get over how well you see through the lens to set these up and capture the beauty in each of your shots! So supurbly done!!!!! Frank

PS what was your white balance setting on this as I see it was manual.

Last edited by hkmp50; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:38 AM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
...PS what was your white balance setting on this as I see it was manual.

Thanks a bunch for your nice comment, Frank.

About White-Balance: I NEVER use automatic White-Balance, because I want to be in charge of my exposures, which I'm not if using automatic settings.

99% of my shots are with Aperture priority, where I decide on the proper aperture-settings, and the camera calculates the exposure-times. This works for me, because I only shoot landscapes and they rarely move, or blink their eyes, or frown...

The WB in these particulary shots were "sunshine" - a contradiction in itself in these foggy conditions, but I wanted the cold blues. I rarely use "cloudy"- or "shadow"-settings, as they tend to give me too warm colors overall. Only in harsh sunlight outdoors during wintertime, where there are lots of details in the (blue) shadows, I sometimes use both "sun" and "shadows"-settings - just to be sure - but I ususally settle for the "sun"-shots in my final prints.

I do shamefully admit that I contradict myself by saying "..want to be in charge of my own exposures..." - and then take pictures in JPEG's only.

If I really ment what I preach, I should be shooting RAW-files and THEN have full control. But, I still feel I am not ready to make this jump yet. Maybe some times in the future (when I get bigger memory-cards, a PC with lots more storage-space and more internal memory) I will try. They all say, you get a much better dynamic range by shooting RAW - something I don't deny - but do not see the sens in it, as you in the end have to convert the (x-bits) RAW-file into 8-bits JPEG's anyway, to be able to show in on Steve's Forum.

Have a nice week, Frank!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 28, 2010 at 7:41 AM.