Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:09 PM   #11

Your third, almost real, image is the best in my opinion. Nice job. I think for every one who tries HDR there are 5 people criticizing it who havent got a clue what its all about. Suggesting things like come back at a different time of day or a bunch of other things to get a better shot instead of using HDR methods. How silly is that. This shot was a prime example for the use of HDR. Maybe you should just sit and wait until hell freezes over and the conditions are ideal. Then just click the shutter and voila....a perfect shot. I think you did a good job.

Last edited by Bynx; Mar 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:21 AM   #12

I spent some more time on the images and I realized that I don't really have to merge those bracketed shots into one HDR. The 0 EV image has enough DR that I can use it to make it a decent photograph (as shown above by simple).

Problem with me and PP is that I don't really have anything in mind when I start. I just keep trying things and stop at something which I kinda like.

Here is what I came out with -

Name:  IMGP1850-1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  174.1 KB
My blog - http://www.ronakg.com
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #13

Your latest effort doesnt approach anywhere near your earlier efforts. Too contrasty. To get the detail in the shadows you have blown the highlights and lost all the detail. HDR was the only way to go.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:27 PM   #14

Yes. You needed to reduce the contrast, not increase the exposure. HDR is the only way to do that, but I felt you overdid it a bit first time around. It's a very interesting and difficult test shot though, and you're doing a lot better than I would.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:36 PM   #15

your last effort if turned to bw would almost look vintage i agree with bynx about the blown areas as this is what hdr is used for

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

but the main thing is we only give our opinions as we try to learn from each other .... so as long as you are happy with the end result or in some cases customers that is all that matters

Last edited by simple; Mar 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote