Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Trinity Church HDR - Which one do you prefer?

I shot this trinity church in NYC using exposure bracketing. Used +/- 2 EV and shot 3 images hand-held.

Here are the processed HDR versions of the same. Which one do you prefer?

Black & White version -

Painting Effect -

Close to real (though the church wasn't so bright in real) -

My blog - http://www.ronakg.com
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:04 PM   #2

For me the B&W works best, followed by the "natural" colour one. I'm not keen on the painting one - the church itself looks too coloured.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3

I like the painting effect best, but it just seems to "busy" in the foreground in all the shots. Especially the little green balls. The church looks great though in the shot, and the effect gives the church a nice texture about it.
The black and white shot takes away from the foreground and i find my eyes traveling up the church to the top. So maybe i like the Black and white the best out of all of them, but for the color and texture of the church i like the painting effect best.
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:28 AM   #4

You're asking so I'm going to say. There are so many people rendering every image in hdr nowdays and many don't seem to notice how easily it is overdone. They don't see the extreme halo effects around their subject as in mainly the first two images. The last image is a little easier on the eyes but can you not see the obvious dark line in the sky in the middle upper part of the frame? This is not natural and I am not able to experience the artistic value of this artifact. The art of capture good images is being replaced by trying to fix them in post processing. Good images start in the camera, not the computer (and I am a real Photoshop buff). I would love to see you post the original so we could see why you felt you had to push it around so much.
diverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdave View Post
You're asking so I'm going to say. There are so many people rendering every image in hdr nowdays and many don't seem to notice how easily it is overdone. They don't see the extreme halo effects around their subject as in mainly the first two images. The last image is a little easier on the eyes but can you not see the obvious dark line in the sky in the middle upper part of the frame? This is not natural and I am not able to experience the artistic value of this artifact. The art of capture good images is being replaced by trying to fix them in post processing. Good images start in the camera, not the computer (and I am a real Photoshop buff). I would love to see you post the original so we could see why you felt you had to push it around so much.
I get your point. Actually I haven't done any manual processing with this image, just used the presets in Photomatix with my 3 shots. I need to spend some more time in PP to get the right shot. Thanks for your comments.

Here is the original version at 0 EV.

Name:  IMGP1850.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  123.0 KB
My blog - http://www.ronakg.com
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:53 PM   #6

Hmmmm, pretty dark. That's a tough one. Maybe re shooting it at a different time of day when the other buildings shadow is not on it would be a different approach. I know I have seen something that I would like to photograph, when I finally came back with a camera it did not have the same quality, the light was completely different and the subject was no longer compelling. Sometimes you have to hit it at just the right time.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:56 PM   #7

You could also have split the exposure between the shadow and highlights, then apply the hdr a little more gingerly to avoid the halos created by heavy hdr rendering. I would say meter on the building but then you would lose the sky, so somewhere in between, giving you a better starting point for the hdr.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:10 AM   #8

The Black and White works best for me, great either way though.
apjar307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:36 PM   #9

this is just using the 0 ev i personally think photomatix is losing its way
i would like to see the result with easyhdr
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:07 PM   #10

Glad I'm not the only one who's been thinking that photomatix is getting harder to work with. I wish I hadn't updated mine, I liked my pictures from a year or two ago better than what I seem to get now. I like the last one better in that there's no halos. They don't seem as obvious to me in the b&w version, and I do like building in that version.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote