Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Not sure about these

I always seem to be posting pictures I'm not sure about. So I'd really like some feedback on these two. I just can't quite get what I want out of the current two HDR problems I have and I can't quite figure out why, I used to think both were really neat.

This first one is 5 frame auto bracketed set and then tone-mapped. There's one spot that I did a further adjustment to that bothers me - I'd be interested in whether it bothers anyone else. There's something else that I'm not so sure about but might have to do with my monitor. Anyway, let me know what you think about it.

The second one is not tone-mapped. Some people might not call it a true HDR because the final picture is from one exposure and so is really just normal processing - using software to bring out what the camera captured, not adding dynamic range that the camera was incapable of capturing in one exposure. But this board takes a pretty broad view of what HDR is, and I really do want to know what others think about it.

I had shot a 5 frame set but didn't like how the HDR program handled the scene. I loved the sky in the darkest exposure, so I took that frame, made a virtual copy of it in LR and lightened it so that there was detail in the building (which was quite black). Then I used a layer mask in photoshop to take the building from the lighter version and the original sky to come up with this.

Do either of these pictures work or should I just scrap them both?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:16 PM   #2

Why not post the 5 shots and let us play with it? Using different HDR software and Photoshop techniques may produce some surprising results.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:29 PM   #3

OK. Here they are. The second one starts here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p355698398/e3cf89cf6 and continues for the next 4 shots, the first one starts here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p355698398/e3c0bda84 and continues for 4 frames. I'd love to see what you come up with, Bynx.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the first one just seems like you tried to pull too much detail out. and it really wasn't there so what is left is pretty flat and washed out. i am not totally sure about the composition either. i think a few steps to the left would let that path come in at a more natural angle and give you a bit better perspective of the building.

2nd one doesnt totally do much for me either. and the bright light draws my eye away.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:19 PM   #5

both images appear to have quite a magenta cast to them, compositionally though I prefer #1

Jimmy Buffett
jaharris1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Hi, mtngal!

Your edit:

(it's easier to compare this way...)

Name:  K5004275-76_74_73_72_EC-39_808x538_90%.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  146.9 KB
My edit. Not much difference, really.

Done in DynamicPhoto-HDR. No pp after tone-mapping. Used default values, but toned down color saturation to 39% (!!!) until colors were as natural as possible.

I am not used to work with so much difference in between exposures. All my bracket-shots are usually just 0,7EV's in between. Yours seem to be at least 1 whole EV in between, if not more. This is quite a stretch.

Regards,
Walter

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:47 PM   #7

It seems like when I set for smaller differences between exposures I miss something, so I usually leave it at a fairly large interval. This scene didn't need so much - I should have used less. Your version has more detail in the brick, while I tried to keep the sky relatively dark (since it was still quite dark, the second exposure was probably closest to what the sky actually looked like. The lower saturation is nicer than mine, there's not so much magenta. What's interesting about that is usually I've noticed a lot of blue when shooting just past the "blue hour" while the AWB on this camera added more magenta than was probably there.

I think that Dustin is right about this one being an awkward composition - I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to take a picture of the walk (was thinking about the biweekly challenge), the building or the sunrise. And that indecision really shows - a good lesson learned (and why I can't quite manage to learn it is frustrating!). I think the picture is destined for the trash.

The more I look at the second one the more I think it suffers from the same thing - I couldn't decide whether to take a picture of the building or the sunrise and the lens I used has too much distortion, especially at the angle I used to try to get more of the sky. Ah well, live and learn - don't mix your shots.