Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:32 AM   #1

Default What isn't HDR

Can playing with shadow, light, and sharpness achieve a similar result as using HDR techniques? Please let me know.
Attached Images

100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2

Streets, as long as you achieve some details in all aspects of the image from the darkest shadows to the brightest highlights then you have achieved what HDR software does. Call it what you want. But Id simply call it a better image. To be a great image takes more like composition, etc. but getting those details sure goes a long way. Your image here has a lot of noise in it. It might be fixable with Denoise software. But unless you look close, its not bad at all. Nice image.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:53 PM   #3

I'd just call it a good image. It certainly could be mistaken for an HDR image at first glance.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:05 AM   #4

I realize that HDR probably works optimally on inanimate objects. My Photo of the Texas Spiney Lizard shows noise due to a bit too much sharpening. I was just trying to see if HDR could be replicated by other means than the stacking of three or more images. My post processing software is very limited (Picassa) and I intend to keep it that way. The great photographers, Adams, Steinmetz, Porter, etal, had to do all of their magic by spending hours in the darkroom on a single print. Think how lucky we are today. Thanks to all for your inputs.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:43 AM   #5

You can get some fairly good results by lightening and darkening your photo and save as three images, one light, one normal and one dark. Google for photomatix basic (free) and then (drag) open all three images into it and hit combine and tweak the settings.

Although the basic version doesn't have tone mapping you can get some outstanding results.
lorenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
...I was just trying to see if HDR could be replicated by other means than the stacking of three or more images...
The HDR appearance can definitely be produced from a single image (that was the whole point of my AutoHDR) but that's not quite the same as having a high dynamic range which by definition cannot be captured in a single shot.

It's a subtle distinction between the dynamic range you've captured and what you do with it. Your shot doesn't have any more dynamic range but you've used an HDR effect on the range you did have.

Similarly, combining 3 exposures doesn't mean the image has a high dynamic range if any one of those exposures managed to capture the full range of light and dark available in the scene. There are other good reasons for merging exposures though such as noise reduction and better colour reproduction.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:49 AM   #7

I hope you find this an improvement streets. I just used DeNoise from Topaz and then Shadow/Highlight from Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:50 AM   #8

That really improved the image BYNX. Thanks. I sometimes diddle with the photos that others submit and some like and some no like.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Being raised on watching 1 Million Years B.C. with Victor Mature, I always think of that movie when I see a little lizard like this.