Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:52 PM   #1

Default HDR question

I'm a total newbie at photography but I'm mesmerized by HDR techniques. I have a Sony A200 and it appears that my camera will only bracket up to .7 f stops. Is that enough? Thanks in advance.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:09 PM   #2

When you bracket your shots just do it manually. Find your optimum setting for the lighting situation then click back until you are underexposed enough then start shooting an fstop equivalent in shutter speed until you have all your shots.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:14 AM   #3

It partly depends on the scene. If your scene isn't that much beyond your sensor's capability to capture detail in the darks and lights, then having .7 between shots would be sufficient. If the scene is really extremely contrasty, then it could easily be not enough. The way Bynx suggested works well regardless of the situation. If you have the camera mounted on a tripod, check the extreme shots both under and over to make sure you have sufficent detail in the darks and lights. While I can hand-hold the camera while it does one-touch exposure bracketing, if I have to change the settings myself I tend to move the camera too much between frames (others have more success with it than I do) for the software to properly line up the frames. A tripod, even with auto exposure bracketing, gives better results.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:18 PM   #4

Mtngal, as you may have noticed from my other posts, I am just getting into DSLR photography in a bigger way. HDR imaging really appeals to me. I first have to get a decent tripod. I've got a basic concern that I will quickly realize the deficiencies in my current A200. I have very little invested in hardware at this point and I worry that I'll realize that I wish I had gone a different route on my camera body after a year or so.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:05 PM   #5

If you are planning on continuing with your photography, there are a few basic things you need and a really good tripod is one of them. Even cheap cameras take good pictures these days but a good tripod will help you get a good sharp image. With a tripod you can do your HDR shooting in a manual mode. If there is movement like clouds, traffic (people, vehicles), or wind blown trees doing it manually isnt the best way but it will give you all the shots you need to get a good HDR. On a tripod doing HDR manually gives you the skill to do it quickly and efficiently with any camera that allows a manual mode.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6

Outhouse - I've often upgraded my camera, but except for once, I've always had specific reasons for doing so. The one time I did without having a definite, clear-cut reason I really regretted it. I do agree with experimenting with what you have, really pushing it to its limits and learning how to get the best out of it before upgrading the camera. So think about getting a tripod, perhaps a flash, maybe a reflector (or play around with aluminum foil to make your own reflector) to learn about how to enhance the light you have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote