Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:57 AM   #11

I will try to be helpful if I can. But not wasting any more time with uploading pics.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:02 PM   #12

Wow. I asked a specific question and got a response that completely ignored my question. I suggest you look in the mirror while reading your OP (included below) aloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
This is my last post in this forum. The response of people is pitiful.

I've told a few photographer friends about the Post Your Photos section of Steves. They've posted photos and commented on others. My first interpretation of the OP was that it was all about the HDR subforum because I've never commented on a photo here. Searched my friends usernames and saw they hadn't either. Asked them why, found out their reasons were much the same as mine. HDR photos here are not far enough from reality to be seen as an interpretation or abstraction, but too far from reality to be seen as real (whatever that means). It's similar to the Uncanny Valley problem film makers have with CGI people http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../UncannyValley
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:30 AM   #13

I thought I answered your question. Due to apathy Im not uploading any pics in any forum here. I will respond and be helpful but thats it. Your uncanny valley was an interesting read and I found the video pretty interesting too. Although Im not sure if I agree with it. The closer to reality they get with digital the more pleased I am. Ive followed this closely and can name the leaps and bounds made by movies like Stuart Little, Monsters, etc. Im not sure how this applies to HDR pics or people's aversion to making comments about them. Is it because Im involved in making them that I dont see them as someone else who is just observing? A good HDR should look better than your average shot. Clearer, sharper, more life like and 3D looking. Is that wrong? Why havent you ever commented on a photo here? If you take the time to look at someone elses work, which they might have spent considerable time creating, wasnt it worth commenting something, anything? Sounds like lazy apathy to me. Why bother looking?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:38 AM   #14

a good hdr bynx , all the detail is there even within the house you can see the items on the window cill / sill and also no blown areas with the internal lights providing us with perfect window frames too how many shots was this ?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:59 AM   #15

Quote:
I thought I answered your question. Due to apathy Im not uploading any pics in any forum here. I will respond and be helpful but thats it. Your uncanny valley was an interesting read and I found the video pretty interesting too. Although Im not sure if I agree with it. The closer to reality they get with digital the more pleased I am. Ive followed this closely and can name the leaps and bounds made by movies like Stuart Little, Monsters, etc. Im not sure how this applies to HDR pics or people's aversion to making comments about them. Is it because Im involved in making them that I dont see them as someone else who is just observing?
I don't comment on the HDR photos here because I think I'm not seeing the same photo as the creator and thus our appreciations are so different that discussion would be pointless. It would be like trying to explain my emotional reaction to 'Piece of My Heart' by Janis Joplin to someone who can't stand listening to her because of the techinical quality of her voice. I do comment in the other sub forums.

Quote:
A good HDR should look better than your average shot. Clearer, sharper, more life like and 3D looking. Is that wrong?
No. The typical use of HDR puts the photos into my photography version of the uncanny valley. When the first thing I notice about any form of art, be it static (e.g. a photograph) or creative (e.g. a song) is the technique, that's a Fail unless the main point of the piece is to have the technique noticed. I've seen HDR photos that extended the dynamic range 2 F stops where It never occurred to me it was done with HDR. That's a Win in my view.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:36 AM   #16

I think its a very nice photo. I can't speak for everyone but I may only comment on some photos and just say that I like it. I guess I don't consider myself to be more than just a novice in photography and feel maybe a little intimidated about my lack of knowledge in the area. Loved looking at yours and everyone elses photos on here.
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:29 AM   #17

Wolverine you have a pair of eyes and a brain to use them with. Your voice is as important as anyone elses. Why does an opinion of anyone else seem to be more valuable than your own? Its not to me. Express your opinion whatever it is.

Simon I think it was 7 shots in total.

Last edited by Bynx; Sep 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:38 AM   #18

ItDontMeanAThing, as soon as you increase the dynamic range of a photo it no longer looks like any photo that has been shot before. You cant shoot a photo in one shot that has all the details in the highlights and shadows at the same time. Something had to go. And it was usually a bit of both. So by increasing that detail HDR images look flat. Additional processing is done to make them pop. Comments like, Its too Flat, or its too this or its too that, or it looks good can be made. Whatever it is you see is what you are commenting on. Not what someone else sees or saw when the pic was taken. You never see what anyone else saw when they took any picture. So by that you never say anything about any pic since you never took it. That sounds nuts to me. Why bother looking at any pics then, since you werent there and have no basis to make any comment? I think you are lost in your uncanny valley. A catch all phrase to impart laziness.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:30 AM   #19

I'll try to clarify my my last post. I said:
>I don't comment on the HDR photos here because I think I'm not seeing the same photo as the creator and thus our appreciations are so different that discussion would be pointless.

It was figurative speech, you responded as if it were literal:
Quote:
... Why bother looking at any pics then, since you werent there and have no basis to make any comment?
Ok, I'll explain myself using literal speech. A person walks into a social event where the expected dress is casual but sophisticated. He thinks he has nailed when he looks in the mirror before leaving home. Scanning the crowd at the event he confirms that he is dressed appropriately. Others turn away so as to not be seen laughing at him. They see flamboyant style and garish colors that don't work together. Could people who's views of the same thing are that far apart have a meaningful conversation about aesthetics? I think not, which is why I don't comment on photos in the HDR subforum.

This link is to what the site called "35 extremely beautiful and perfectly executed HDR-pictures." http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008...-hdr-pictures/ In my eyes all the photos are what I described in the previous post as
>not far enough from reality to be seen as an interpretation or abstraction, but too far from reality to be seen as real (whatever that means).

By 'too far from reality' what I meant was garish, over-saturated, overworked images by someone who either doesn't know what nature looks like or thinks they've improved upon it.

Quote:
So by increasing that detail HDR images look flat. Additional processing is done to make them pop.
One viewer's 'pop' is another viewer's excessively, disturbingly, or distressingly vivid or bright

Here is an HDR image that is not flat, and doesn't pop.
http://aswirly.files.wordpress.com/2...dr-sample2.jpg

Many non-flat, non-pop HDR photos in the Flicker group SubtleHDR http://www.flickr.com/groups/shdr/

Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:54 AM   #20

There are so many opinions on the subject of HDR that it makes it difficult to comment on some posts. In addition, there are posts that I find not particularly good subjects for HDR, so I find it unhelpful to say "I don't like your choice of subjects". Then there is my favorite HDR post-er, vcaprio, who often leaves me searching for something to say other than "another great one!". What happened to the "policy" that one should include a "middle shot" for comparison purposes? That often encouraged more responses. It seems that, in this particular forum, a submission is either "spot on" and gets lots of comments, or "so-so" and leaves us "speechless". What bothers me most are comments from people who, themselves, don't show their own photos but want to be "experts".
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote