Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:04 PM   #21

Youre absolutely right on Walter. Middle shots should accompany all HDR just to show the effect properly. Any comment at all is better than none. If it is felt a subject isnt a good choice then express the view. You must be aware that when we take pics we get our heads around things and cant see the forest for the trees. Sometimes it takes someone just looking at it to point something out we obviously miss. And thats where comments are helpful. It doesnt take an expert to express what you see and feel.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:16 PM   #22

ItDontMeanAThing, as for the 35 great HDR images, I think that is up for discussion. Some I like some I dont. My personal opinion.
As for the example you posted that isnt a good example for an HDR image. There is no direct light source, no shadows, just reflected light from everything in the image.

I dont follow your thought process at all. What are posted here are images. Simple images. Its not rocket science. You see something and you comment on it. Its good, its bad, its whatever you see it as. You like it or you dont. Its right or its wrong. If everyone had your attitude this place would not exist. In my original image its not at all like it looked when I shot it. The building was black in total darkness except for the lights. By long exposure details were brought out. Aided by multiple layers and HDR processing the final was achieved. Its not flat and it pops so it seems more lifelife. At least to me. So I dont follow you -- is it excessive, disturbing or distressingly vivid?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:48 PM   #23

I'm beginning to think some critics of HDR hasn't spent much time figuring out the different controls (not to mention different brands that produce different results) of HDR.

For example, this HDR edit of mine:

#1) Final image.

was largely the result of Topaz (Adjust, ReMask, DeNoise) -- not HDR. The HDR image I worked on was created by Dynamic Photo HDR using what I call "Walter's Values" (after steves-digicamer Walter S' conservative slider values of the "eye-catching" preset):

#2) DPHDR output.

I could use any of DPHDR's more "artistic" presets with high-color saturations and high contrast but in my case I just want to show details for later processing.

If I didn't do HDR, I would probably do a composite of the following 2 images (which I used, BTW, among other shots to produce the HDR image):

#3) More or less properly exposed subject but with blown out sky.

#4) Metered for the sky.

HDR puts details where there isn't (by taking them from the over- and under-exposed shots) and then it's up to the person (or artist, ahem) doing the edit (in Photoshop and in my case Topaz) to decide how the image would finally look.

To make it look not so flat for example, I use Photoshop's Contrast and Levels sliders then add vignette. There are probably countless other methods one can use.

If you notice, #3 isn't HDR but looks flat, too (at least to me).

I would also add that, according to the book, "The Vision Revolution" (2009) by Mark Changizi, our eyes never see straight lines. Everything we see are "fisheye" not to mention that we are rarely still and constantly in motion (as we turn our heads, etc.) and so is the world so everything is going through all sorts of distortion as we move through reality. Our brains tell us instead that something, a doorframe for example, is made up of straight lines.

I say that because I would like to add that our eyes also constantly adjust to the bright and dark spots to find details. Without HDR (or compositing), those spots would be dead-ends for our eyes.

I would suggest everyone try HDR. The HDR-generated image always responds better in my experience to post-processing sliders and plug-ins, that is, less artifacts (banding, discoloration, etc.) are created when you brighten or darken the image, for example, while allowing the viewer to see through building office windows and water reflections (glare is removed as if you were wearing sunglasses), etc. There might be times you'd want to resort to HDR.

BTW, Paul, I like the house. If this is truly your last post, then, like Cheers' farewell episode, it's definitely worth seeing.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Sep 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:47 PM   #24

Good post Billy, thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I dont follow your thought process at all.
Its not flat and it pops so it seems more lifelife. At least to me. So I dont follow you -- is it excessive, disturbing or distressingly vivid?

Do you not understand what I meant by the following?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Could people who's views of the same thing are that far apart have a meaningful conversation about aesthetics? I think not, which is why I don't comment on photos in the HDR subforum.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:16 AM   #26

Bynx, I haven't been here much lately, but when I come here, HDR is the first thing I check, and your work is one of the reasons. Please reconsider.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:28 AM   #27

Barbarian, sharing pics with fellow photographers like yourself has always been a pleasure. This decision doesnt come easy because I enjoy 'showing off' a pic I like, or wanting to get some criticism on a pic Im not sure about. Too many times over a hundred hits by people and not a single word one way or the other by anyone. So what do I get out of that? Just seems like a waste of my time.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:26 AM   #28

I'm totally agree with your opinion Bynx.
And thats why I'm not posting on Steve's forum. It's just waste of time for the poster !
Nothing sensible to learn here. So many viewers and so few correct critics.

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
I'm totally agree with your opinion Bynx.
And thats why I'm not posting on Steve's forum. It's just waste of time for the poster !
I count 17 sub forums in the Post Your Photos forum. Maybe y'all would get more responses if you posted photos in the Photo Critiques sub forum.

Any suggestions about more active critique communities? Most of the ones I've found are lovefests where even the most average work gets 100% positive responses, with few rarely longer than a sentence. I spent 30 minutes on photosig.com, looks good enough to me to dig a little deeper.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:00 AM   #30

bugsbunny, ItDontMeanAThing, I don't think it's all that bad. When people rave at my work is when I know I hit on something big. I then divulge my "secrets" so I can come up with new ones and constantly improve (hopefully). It doesn't matter to me if I get thanked for it or not but somebody's gotta be learning something from here.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote