Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:37 PM   #1

Default Real Estate Interiors

Hi Everyone!

For the past few months I have developed pretty consistent business with my real estate photography.

I have been searching around all over to try to find the solution to the problem I have been having with my interior shots.

I have a tamron 10-24 and it has been fantastic and does what I need. The only downside is the built in flash casts a huge shadow.

I know having an external flash would really help but while I am saving I am doing HDR and hoping that they it comes out well during processing.

Sometimes its a hit or miss with my interior shots.
Some can turn out awesome and the others just look terrible in my opinion.

I was wondering if you all have any advice for me so that I can fix this problem that I have been having?

Attached are a few of my "unsalvageable" shots of interiors.

The last one is my best work and I find it tough to match with my others

Thanks so much,

Hunter

P.S. I bracket my photos, tone map in Photomatix then I polish up in Aperture or Photoshop (if the photo needs a lot of work)

Attached Images

Kaizen_Pro_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:24 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I think you definitely need an external flash as well as a difuser (e.g. Stofen) which will spread the light out around the room and avoid the shadow from the built in flash which is very directional and harsh lighting. If the room is large, additional flash units would also help. Also try shooting from a lower height... I think it will "open-up" the perspective. That last image is A+!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:21 PM   #3

I dont see any signs of built in flash in any of these shots. The bedroom pic seems soft to me. It should be sharper as is the case with the living room. The eating room perspective doesnt look very appealing. A different shooting angle to break up that boxy look would help. Your processing and exposures look pretty good.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:41 AM   #4

You might want to check your white balance before each HDR series...or any shot, for that matter.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
You might want to check your white balance before each HDR series...or any shot, for that matter.
Walter, I will be more conscious of this. I am on automatic white balance which is locked when I take the bracketed shots. Do you think it could be a mixture of the different lights in the shot that messes up the lighting?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I dont see any signs of built in flash in any of these shots. The bedroom pic seems soft to me. It should be sharper as is the case with the living room. The eating room perspective doesnt look very appealing. A different shooting angle to break up that boxy look would help. Your processing and exposures look pretty good.
I agree, I do need to add more perspective to those shots. especially the dining room shot.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
I think you definitely need an external flash as well as a difuser (e.g. Stofen) which will spread the light out around the room and avoid the shadow from the built in flash which is very directional and harsh lighting. If the room is large, additional flash units would also help. Also try shooting from a lower height... I think it will "open-up" the perspective. That last image is A+!

Jehan

Glad you like the last one! I really need an external with a diffuser.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:18 PM   #8

What I really want in my shots also (which makes me a huge fan of HDR in the first place) is being able to get a good shot of the outside too with my interior shots. You can see a little bit outside but its low in contrast and takes a long time to edit in order to get that look. Is there a more efficient way of doing this?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:22 PM   #9

did you use photomatix for these ? give easyhdr a try or load 3 smaller files up of one of the shots and i will give it a try for you the reason i say try easy hdr it will be more natural for the interior shots
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
did you use photomatix for these ? give easyhdr a try or load 3 smaller files up of one of the shots and i will give it a try for you the reason i say try easy hdr it will be more natural for the interior shots

Wow I appreciate that. I really would like to send you the raw files. Any suggestions to how I can send them to you?

Thanks so much!