Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:12 PM   #1

Default First HDR attempt - a cold sunrise

I took this shot in the 14 weather this morning - that wind coming off the water was brutal! Either way it looks like I have much more to learn with this HDR animal. I bracketed best I can and took both JPEG and RAW. I used the RAW files to make the photo and ran them through the trial version of Photomatix Essentials. I sort of winged it on the settings...but now the colors look a little too intense. Maybe a sunrise photo, as complicated as it may already be, wasn't the best setting for my first HDR attempt? It seems that there is some blurring all over the place too. I did have the camera mounted in place, but it was on a RAM suction cup mount off the rear hatch window on my Jeep. I think with the wind blowing as hard as it was I still had some movement on the Jeep. Might be time to pony up for an actual tripod.

Port Mahon Sunrise by Quadna71, on Flickr

Last edited by Quadna71; Jan 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM. Reason: added info
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:05 PM   #2

I think a tripod would do wonders for the alignment. Also how many exposures did you use? It seems you were missing a few in the + range. With HDR, there should be details in the shadows.
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:26 PM   #3

Thanks, hoffam19 - I've been looking through many tripod reviews lately. I want to buy the right tripod the first time so I'm not dealing with buyer's remorse a month later.

I used the bracketing feature on my camera. It expands out to 3 exposure settings and then you drift it open or close as you see fit. Do you think just 3 are enough? I have read that some use 4 or 5 exposures to compile an HDR photo.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:47 PM   #4

I'm no expert myself, but I think it could use a couple more brighter shots to bring out the details in the shadows. I don't know for sure without seeing the original images, but the details could have possibly been lost in the processing too.

As far as tripods, I bought a manfrotto with their standard ball head. I really like how sturdy it is, but it is not hiker friendly, way to heavy. Not a big deal if you aren't hiking any distance to shoot, but I like bringing my camera and tripod on longer hikes in the mountains. There's a fairly reasonably priced carbon fiber tripod that seems pretty sturdy at best buy that I'm going to look into for hiking. Not sure what brand it is off the top of my head though.
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:54 PM   #5

A very nice first effort especially considering the conditions and lack of tripod
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:56 AM   #6

3 is enough however if doing more you can see the benifit in some shots but you will definatly need a tripod ..... i take most 3 shot HDR hand held and very rarely have a issue with allignment could you upload your 3 shots used 800 x 600 ?

did the lens have a stabiliztion function - vibration control?

dont forget people often tweak with other software too after the hdr treatment to get that digital art look but this depends on personal preference

Last edited by simple; Jan 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote