Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the compliments! If someone tells me that they didn't at first realize it was HDR I think I was successful. I love being able to show more of a scene than a camera's sensor can see at once, and to make it look like what my mind remembered of the scene. Recently I've been struggling with current software, it seems like some software starts to look "grunge" too quickly or else over-saturated or something else over-the-top.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thanks for the compliments! If someone tells me that they didn't at first realize it was HDR I think I was successful. I love being able to show more of a scene than a camera's sensor can see at once, and to make it look like what my mind remembered of the scene. Recently I've been struggling with current software, it seems like some software starts to look "grunge" too quickly or else over-saturated or something else over-the-top.
HDR can look good or bad depending on your settings and post processing. I always keep my settings low in HDR compared to what is popular. Far easier to build up versus going in reverse....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:30 AM   #13

Very nice, sets a good mood.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14

i like it a lot, looks like the heavens are opening up and some hugh gargoil type creature is going to swoop down out of the clouds, or is that just my over active imagination lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:46 AM   #15

Nice job mtngal. The long journey was worth it. Wouldnt you say?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:34 AM   #16

I was very happy with this shot, Bynx. It's been a while since I shot anything that seemed to work - thought I had completely lost my touch when it came to HDR or that the software has changed from what it had been when I did get good results. Also, the camera I'm currently using as my main camera has a sensor that's very forgiving - one can recover a huge amount of detail in the shadows without introducing much noise. So I'll sometimes shoot for HDR, process the exposures and then take the one without blown highlights and see if I can recover enough to make it look like what I want. It's not that uncommon when I can get almost the same thing or better with that one exposure and using Lightroom and perhaps Viveza. Not this time though, the dynamic range was well beyond that.

By the way, I also put together another picture with this one for a panorama. I hadn't shot them with the idea of doing something stitched so the frames have little overlap, taken at slightly different angles and probably slightly different focal lengths, but I spent a bit of time with them in photoshop, matching them by hand (pushing and prodding, using the warp tranform tool for the first time) and got them to look reasonable, though not perfect. I thought about posting the second one here but figured you would spot the rather obvious fault right away and make a comment about it, so I haven't, letting this picture stand by itself.

Last edited by mtngal; Mar 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:46 AM   #17

I love that color of blue you have. Dont apologize for something you tried. Give us a look at the pano. When I look at your original my first thought was I want to see more.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:02 PM   #18

Here's the pano. I had to do just about everything by hand as the series wasn't shot with pano in mind, there's a real possibility that I moved the tripod some between scenes and could have easily shot at slightly different focal lengths. Also, the lighting between the east/sun rising and the southwest/pretty dark made for different colors when I did the HDR - I had to adjust the color of one of the frames. I'm sure you will just about instantly spot the fault that bothers me about it. I'd rate it as "fair", when it could have been really good if I had planned/shot it as a pano to begin with.

Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:19 PM   #19

Very Nice! I like the pano!!
Deep Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:48 AM   #20

As it is now, I dont notice anything wrong with it. Im sure some will examine it with a fine toothed comb and shout it out. But you have done a great job. And as I thought the pano is all I wanted and more. Its a beautiful scene and I just love the colors. Id hang that on the wall, except if you notice the problems with it, at a large size they would be more obvious to you and probably to me. But as it is on my screen, nice job lady.