Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Default a question on HDR

a question for the HDR Hardcore, maybe one for simple, Bynx and co.

i am growing more impressed with HDR as i delve deeper into it. but, and here is the catch... everything i do or see done in HDR is of still life, or simply put, motionless objects! ive tried catching HDR of moving objects like my horse pics i posted last week and had relative success as long as the movement is minimal. so here's my idea, please tell me if its madness. how about taking a single image ("ah, but thats not REAL HDR!" i hear you say) shot in RAW, then process it and save it as 3 images in -+2 in photoshop. then use photomatix to merge the now 3 shots as you would HDR normally. shooting in RAW would give you a lot to play with and maybe the results might come out pretty good. im thinking HDR motorsport as i am going to World Superbikes soon and am wishing to give this a go. my question to you the HDR bods like simon, Bynx and co... will this work?

kind regards,
john
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:43 PM   #2

i hear you john this is a true 3 shot hdr

the answer is in your question it wont be a true hdr but certainly will show some difference in the end result as to me it would be still classed as a psuedo HDR but with benifits no ghosting and every one will allign perfect i will show you a example when i locate it ..... Bynx is the hdr master aswell as VV and walter i havent really done much HDR work in the past few months where as the others have indeed excelled
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:55 PM   #3

I think I'll do some testing to see how quickly my camera captures 3 shots on some moving traffic or something. That image is incredible Simon. Makes me realise i have some way to go. What program are you using out of interest?

Kind thanks for your response
regard,
John
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4

hey john i sent you a pm the above was done with photomatix as others couldnt handle the ghosting when merged as the cows ears twitched a little .
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:22 AM   #5

Hi, John. I use Dynamic Photo HDR because of its excellent anti-ghosting tool. For single shots, I use Photomatix. I tried the -/+2 method you mentioned but wasn't very successful. (I remember Walter C has an excellent example, though, somewhere in this HDR forum, using the method, which was why I tried it in the first place. Anyway...)

I use HDR to erase moving objects, not keep them as I think you want to do. Mostly, I shoot city streets and make them empty. Below is an example. It's shot on a busy crosswalk -- in front of Grand Central Terminal in New York City where people are crossing all the time. I took several shots (in varying exposures) and in one shot, the man was the only one standing still. So I forced DPHDR to keep the man and erase all other moving people.

The step-by-step instructions are here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1154431-post12.html

This one taken from the roof of the Port Authority parking lot is a single shot RAW processed with Photomatix:

Since you mentioned shooting sports, I would go with single-shot RAW and Photomatix. The only disadvantage of single-shot really is you might have blown out skies especially if you shoot on auto. So I would use manual and underexpose a bit, as oftentimes detail can be extracted from the darker areas and not from blown out skies.

But otherwise, Photomatix does a fantastic job with single shot RAWs, sometimes I can't tell if it's single-shot.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6

With a single Raw image the latitude is +1 to -1. Pushing it to +2 to -2 creates problems sometimes in Photomatix. Check the shadows and highlights. That is where problems often occurs. DPHDR does a better job, however it may not produce the look you are after....

Last edited by Vision of Dreams; Apr 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM.
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7

There is another way that I shoot HDR on moving objects. I will take a single Raw image of the moving object, then let it pass. After it is gone I will take 3-5 shots of the background and sky. Then use the same settings in Photomatix. The Single Raw will be converted into +1 to -1 exposures then put into Photomatix, then the 3 or 5 shots will be put into Photomatix. After that the two HDR's are blended together in Photoshop.....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote