Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Default Basilica of Notre Dame - Montreal

A few shots I took in Montreal last week at the Notre Dame basilica. Mostly 5 and 7 exposure HDR. Such an amazing and colorful building in an incredible city! This (and some shots in Maine and Boston) was really my first "real" attempt at HDR besides playing around with it at home.

Pure Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2

Very nice. Its a pleasure to see something from someone who knows what HDR is all about for a change. The only thing I would do is straighten the perspective.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment - you're certainly someone I greatly respect on here I'm with you on the relatively subtle use of HDR - I consider the purpose simply to pull out the shadows and pull back the washed out.

As far as straightening the perspective, you mean make it completely symmetrical? As I was framing these, I felt I had them pretty good in the viewfinder and on the LCD, but in the final shot I can see, for example on the "full interior" shot, the column to the left goes all the way to the floor, but the column on the right is cut off at the second story. Is that what you mean?

Now I want to look through my folders and find others I took that may be better. I was in there for about 40 minutes trying to do what I could and not disturb the other people - I shot a lot!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:01 AM   #4

The first is ok because everything is so round looking. But the third shot has such a lean inwards from the two sides. Its just too much. I think they should be straightened but I tried it and there was just too much.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:36 PM   #5

Thanks. How do you avoid that, shooting at 14mm inside a confined space? I do agree that it looks hyper-dramatic.