Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:55 PM   #11

I haven't been around here in a long time because I find the over-processed, tone-mapped images mostly not to my taste and that seems to be pretty popular (or it was a while ago). Plus I was getting frustrated with some of the software I was using, and my current camera is very forgiving when it comes to shadow detail, so I now tend to use a single frame and bring out the detail in the shadows using other means.

While I do agree that classifications are important for lots of things, to me photography (except photojournalism) is art, so it doesn't make a difference to me how you define HDR (altered or not altered). I like composites, too, when they are well done, and they are usually significantly altered, some really surreal. I admire the graphic artist's product. So the process of HDR is just one more tool to make a scene look the way you want it to. Some people love the over-cooked look I don't like, and wouldn't think much of Bynx's lovely room (that really is quite spectacular, by the way). So to each his own. I won't try to convince anyone of anything, though I used to occasionally post my own HDR shots as a counterpoint to those I don't like. But I can relate/understand someone who dislikes those over-cooked shots and isn't interested enough to spend the time to find those like Bynx's shot, so they hold the opinion that all HDR is bad. That's OK, they can move on to something else that's more suited to their tastes, as I have done more and more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:18 PM   #12

Im a big fan of the overcooked painterly look to a file that started out as an HDR. Im only suggesting that its time to separate the true HDR (broad dynamic range photo realistic image) from the other overcooked images that may have started out as HDR images but went beyond that. Also included in this lot are single images be they jpeg or raw that have been just tone mapped and posted under the guise of being HDR. Is there a problem with this suggestion and if so, what is it?
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
... Also included in this lot are single images be they jpeg or raw that have been just tone mapped and posted under the guise of being HDR. Is there a problem with this suggestion and if so, what is it?
I personally don't see anything wrong with tone mapping a single RAW file. It is the same as the old half stop medium range fill technique.

I'd go back to the point that really if someone is shooting it and then creating something they like from it well then who am I to say it is or isn't HDR. We all get a little too giddy with the tone mapping at least once or twice..

If you don't like something that someone did then just say so constructively if possible.

Say, "I think you went too far with the tone mapping" or "Looks a little bit overdone to me" ...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:02 PM   #14

Well, saying HDR isn't photography is just plan wrong. Someone still has to create a well composed image BEFORE doing any type of Post Processing. Most of the overcooked HDR/Tonemapped images don't do a thing for me. When the colors are way off from the original, or there are major halos around the tree buildings, that is just poor workmanship.
I must say that Bynx's livingroom shot is close to perfect. The debate will always be there and everyone will have their opinions. Art is subjective, and some people will like it and some won't. As long as you like what your doing, it's all good.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:13 PM   #15

Thanks mugmar. I just think its nice to know what you're looking at so that when you say you dont like it we know what you're talking about. Its not fair to Photorealistic hdr images to be lumped in the same pot as a poorly tone mapped image which doesnt resemble photo realism in any way, shape or form. Just a thought.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:52 PM   #16

Bynx, that's a nice house you've got. I've started to dabble with HDR but without much success, no doubt because the originals were not good enough. Honesty is the key. If your going to post an HDR or tone mapped photo, say so, don't pretend it's a "normal" photo.

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:31 AM   #17

today's potd is a wonderful example of HDR used to bring out the most in the picture

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ph...ml#post1310778
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:34 AM   #18

Nicely done image, Bynx and your explanation/merits of HDR is spot on.

I will say this about HDR, most of us who first started out fiddling about with HDR 'overcooked' our first examples simply because it was fun to do and a part of the learning curve. But, you're right, proper use of HDR results in a highly detailed image that, otherwise, would be difficult-if not impossible to recreate in a one shot capture.

Your example is a classic HDR photograph that shows the detail both inside as well as outside the windows that otherwise would be rather bland, weak or even lost.

I suspect I don't have to declare on which side of the fence I'm sitting on.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote