Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Donut Falls

This is a 10 shot HDR composite of Donut Falls up in Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah. I beat the evening crowd and had time to get some good shots from inside the cave. Beautiful place with only a short hike to get to.

hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:02 PM   #2

Wow, that's fantastic - really spectacular photo. And a place I'd love to see in person!
Pure Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:40 PM   #3

That really is spectacular. Is the light only right in the evening or does it work at other times of the day? I'm going to have to find out where this is and see if I can go there, that's definitely a spot I'd love to visit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:54 PM   #4

Beautiful shot of a beautiful falls. I wish we had something like that in the Catskills.

Do you mind if I post an edit? One aspect of HDR I love is that once the scene's lighting is evened out, I can pretty much control however way I want the scene lit. Shine a spotlight here, introduce a ray of light there, or darken it overall and still the details in the darkened shadows are dimly but very clearly visible.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments guys.

mtngal - I took this shot around 6pm, but I think because of the nature of the cave, you could probably shoot it any time of the day with the exception of maybe high noon when the light is shining directly into the hole. That may cause some over exposure issues with the water. Also, it's in Big Cottonwood canyon maybe 20 minutes outside of downtown Salt Lake, easy to get to. But if you didn't know the cave was there, you probably wouldn't hike up past the base of the falls. The first time I went there, I stopped at the bottom of the falls not knowing this was there and it left me wondering why it was called donut falls...

vv - Feel free to edit, but please share it here.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:01 PM   #6

Thank you, hoffam19.

I basically created 2 vignettes with two elliptical selections feathered at 100 and then setting the two layers to "Multiply".

The downside with this edit is you brought out all that detail through HDR only to again lose them in the dark. So I normally don't do an edit this extreme to my own HDRs so as not to put all my efforts to waste. But since this picture isn't mine... just kidding. Seriously, I think it's a matter of taste or maybe intended use. It's a really great photo. I couldn't resist.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jul 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:41 PM   #7

I like it, it basically intensifies my original vision of this shot which was to try to make the water look like a ray of light shining thru the hole in the rock, however, I think i prefer the original solely because there is no detail loss in the rock.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:38 AM   #8

very nice mate
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:30 PM   #9

Nice shot, I like both the original and the edited version.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:37 PM   #10

I like both; they are each breathtaking. And thanks to Vvcarpio for the brief tutorial.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote