Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Moving Objects In Picture

Working on some HDR pictures taken the pass weekend and not having much luck. One of the biggest problems I'm running into is objects that are moving in the picture. One set I like has a Eagle flying across the picture which I wanted to keep in the picture. Problem is that I get three ghost images of the Eagle, tried removing the Eagle from two of the exposures but still end up with a ghost bird.
Question: is there any way to keep the the bird (just one) in the HDR?

Thanks,
Craig
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2

You might try the old fashioned blended exposure approach - take the same raw image and do several conversions on it. Use those different conversions as the input to the HDR.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Working on some HDR pictures taken the pass weekend and not having much luck. One of the biggest problems I'm running into is objects that are moving in the picture. One set I like has a Eagle flying across the picture which I wanted to keep in the picture. Problem is that I get three ghost images of the Eagle, tried removing the Eagle from two of the exposures but still end up with a ghost bird.
Question: is there any way to keep the the bird (just one) in the HDR?

Thanks,
Craig

Hi,

I use Photomatix Pro as my HDR software. The Pro version allows you the ability to select a segment of the image that has a "ghosting" issue and then
run a "deghosting" program. It is quick , usually very effective, and will also work on birds in flight-to a point. It all depends on how fast the bird is traveling.

I might add that my HDR post entitled "motoring through the Caper Cod Canal". had pretty much the same issue as the boat was traveling rather quickly. I took 3 bracketed shots
and ran the deghosting tool and the result is as you see it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:41 PM   #4

I would do the following. Open the exposure you like for the eagle out of the brackets in your photo editor and then save it.

Next open up all the brackets and remove the eagle from them all.

Process your HDR.

Then in Photoshop or your image editor open your HDR, and layer the two, align them to where ever you want the eagle to be, and use a layer mask to "paint" the eagle back into place.

Don't forget to flatten the image.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:54 PM   #5

Zig has the solution. tswens method is too much work.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:36 PM   #6

JohnG and zig-123, like both of our suggestions. The bracketed shot I was working with really doesn't need HDR processing so I think John suggestion will work best (easiest) for by bridge shot. Upgrading (buying more software) to a better HDR program sounds like a good idea for future shots where HDR is really required. Wonder if the wife would let me upgrade to a Canon 5D3, it has HDR built into the camera?
Thanks again for the help,
Craig