Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Corn is gettin' tall

Had to stand on the seat of my car with my torso out of the sunroof

(been wanting to use that smilie for a while... )

Corn field at sunrise

SOOC JPEG

P8214773 by ramcewan, on Flickr

HDR

P8214773_hdr2 by ramcewan, on Flickr

I created the HDR image by taking the RAW output from the single image above and after making a few minor adjustments I processed to JPEG with the exposure varying by .3 from -1 through +1

Some might argue that this is not HDR as only one exposure was taken. I still think it is HDR as the resulting image has enhanced dynamic range via layering . Further 1/3 stops on many cameras tend to be software based only, thus an exposure bracketed set of shots is just a way to introduce camera movement.
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2

You havent increased the dynamic range at all. And breaking down a single raw image into 6 images 1/3 fstop apart is not the best way to do it. Your final image is pretty good and miles ahead of the original untouched image. But Im sure it would have been even better had you done it the right way.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:09 PM   #3

I think it turned out much better than the original.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:59 PM   #4

G'day Ewen

May I indulge - with your sooc image for me to see what might have come from it via 'normal' jpg / PSE adjustments

I have spent 5-minutes playing with Levels + 2x masked brightness layers

Your feedback would be appreciated
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:29 AM   #5

ramcewan- I think what you have done is often described as a pseudo HDR.
You can get away with this if the lighting range isn't too excessive- and as you say,movement certainly won't be an issue.
Some would argue that you could achieve a similar effect with curves/levels etc on the original RAW file in one go- but hey... who cares... you did a great job...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:37 AM   #6

Yes he did a great job of a landscape. This should be posted in landscape. However, even as a so called pseudo HDR I wouldnt be ashamed to have it called as such. Its a good shot. Had it been fluorescent yellowy green with dark sooty clouds then it would have been called something else entirely.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Bynx - I get what you are saying, but did you get what I am saying about exposure bias being software driven on the camera such that a bracketed set of shots at -2/3,-1/3, 0, 1/3, 2/3 is really not much different than what I have done here?

In other words if we accept that our cameras are not always manipulating the actual exposure when we do a bracketed set (unless explicitly using shutter speed or aperture bracketing), but instead using in camera software to affect an exposure bias. Then the shots that come out of the camera are no different than taking a single shot and applying different exposure biases to the RAW file and developing to JPEG, except that the lighting or position may have changed between exposures on the bracketed set. I would even go so far as to argue that we can do a better job of creating software based bracketed images on a PC as compared to in the camera due to the bigger processing capabilities of a PC.

Ozzie_Traveller - nice job. I think you made the point clear that you can manipulate using other tools and get a similar result.

SIMON40 and lorenww thanks for looking and your comments.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:58 PM   #8

I dont follow you. Bracketed shots for HDR should be done by altering the shutter speed. Increasing or decreasing will give you a greater range than a single shutter speed. And you shouldnt do bracketing shots by changing the aperture.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I dont follow you. Bracketed shots for HDR should be done by altering the shutter speed. Increasing or decreasing will give you a greater range than a single shutter speed. And you shouldnt do bracketing shots by changing the aperture.
Okay. Clearly you define HDR very narrowly as;

2 or more shots taken (presumably of the same subject at close to the same time, etc.) with different shutter speed and combined via HDR software.

Given that definition you can ignore my statements above about exposure bias.

that said I am not sure I agree with your definition and I also think many of the shots posted here as HDR are created from exposure bias bracketed shots, not shutter speed bracketed shots and for those I think my point remains valid....

but at least I think I understand what your definition is.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #10

Id like to see a couple of examples of HDR images based on your broader definition. The examples should illustrate a broad range of light from bright to dark. Ozzie here, has demonstrated that your initial image is easily given the same look as your "hdr".