Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:30 PM   #1

Default DPHDR6 Single JPEG HDR

I've been using DPHDR6 since it came out in March, so over 3 months now. In my renders, I use 7-9 images to create the HDR image. Since clouds move and therefore create an unnatural "stop-motion" (or "stepped" -- sorry can't think of a better way to describe the effect) sky, I replace the sky in the generated HDR image with the sky from a single shot in Photoshop.

I found that the latest version DPHDR6 brings out good detail from underexposed sky shots. Below is an example.

1) The image below is a JPEG image whose sky I intend to in my HDR image. (I originally shot in RAW then converted to JPEG so I can remove chromatic aberration in Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw.)

2) When the above single JPEG is run through DPHDR6, detail is brought out from the sky, and that is pretty much all I need from the generated "pseudo" HDR image shown below. However, each time I do this to create my sky, I'm rather blown away by how DPHDR6 also brings color to an otherwise mostly black and silhouetted foreground. The green trees in this example are bright green compared to the original nearly colorless trees.

That is pretty much all I wanted to say in this post. From the #2 image above, I'd say DPHDR6 is an excellent tool not only for bracketed images but for single shot images, too. It took a long time for the upgrade to finally come but I'd say DPHDR6 has gone leaps and bounds over the preceding version.

3) For completeness' sake, below is my final render -- a composite of the true HDR foreground (from 7 JPG images) and the "pseudo" HDR image of the sky generated from #2 above, enhanced by Topaz Labs' Adjust, DeNoise, and Photoshop.

Thank you for reading. The images are shot by my Sony A5000 with the Sigma 10-20mm.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:20 PM   #2
conor

Absolutely stunning post processing!
I especially appreciate that subtle yet eye-catching sliver of blue in the background.

(Also, what's your opinion of that 10-20mm Sigma? I've been eyeing it for some time - It's just not QUITE long enough to compliment my other glass)

Last edited by conor; Jun 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:46 AM   #3

Thank you, Conor. Yes, I noticed the blue sliver, too, while post-processing and liked it, too. The atmosphere just seemed to work right at the time.

I would say I love my Sigma but in truth I love all ultrawides. I also have the Tamron 10-24mm and would say that (despite the difference in number of reviews on amazon) I see no difference. I thought, however, that the Sigma had a tad more 'concaving' around the edges compared to the Tamron which I think is straighter and more rectilinear -- I wish someone else could confirm that. Still, I prefer using the Sigma because its barrel is not as monstrous as the Tamron's and so would more easily fit in generic camera protective cases.

4) JPEG image.

5) DPHDR6 Single JPEG HDR from the above (#4) image.

6) My final render with sky from #5 and foreground a true HDR from 7 JPEGs.

7) I thought I'd add an extra architectural sample using the Sigma 10-20mm. This one was generated by the earlier version DPHDR5.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:48 PM   #4
conor

#6: Again, gorgeous shot/edit - the colours really pop!
#7: Did you have to make any corrections for barrel distortion? I'm not seeing any evidence of curved lines along the edges/corners - IMHO, that lens is definitely performing well for you, especially considering its price.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Thank you, conor.

Yes, #7's distortion was already corrected.

Below #8 should show the curvature around the edges. I don't remember this happening on my Tamron UWA. I'll have to run a comparison test some time.

#8) The base of the half-height wall at lower left was especially problematic because after perspective correction it still showed a noticable S-curve as pointed out by the architect. I had to manually tug-and-pull this-way-and-that until it looked straight.

#9) Corrected HDR version.