Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:46 PM   #1
conor

Default Winnipeg HDR

As I've been going through my old posts and re-uploading all the missing images, I realized that I've never posted this HDR. C&C always welcome!

Attachment 204739

Edit: Replaced image with higher resolution version

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:07 AM   #2

Very dramatic image, Conor. The sky color and the turbulent clouds give this pic a stormy feeling. Good job on the HDR. How many images?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:04 AM   #3
conor

This would be 3 shots, IIRC. (I haven't shot anything in HDR in a long time), my D50 can only bracket 3 frames automatically.
I believe they were +/- 2 stops, but I'd have to check the original frames to be sure (I'll post them if anyone has any interest trying their own take on the shot).

As for the sky, it didn't punch nearly so obviously in any of the 3 base frames, it was only when the shots stacked that the orange colour and depth/definition truly started to pop out in the sky.
It was either the tail end or beginning of a storm right at sunset; Here, in the spring, when the thundershowers happen, we always get these crazy clouds, and if the storm breaks at just the right time in the evening, some of the colours we see around the clouds are incredible. Unfortunately, there's never a window longer than 15 minutes before the storm either clears or the sun goes down too far. Though I'm happy that I was out at just the right time and had my camera handy, I really wish I could get the chance to capture the bright pinks/purples we occasionally see.

Other than the HDR, the only changes to the image is increasing contrast of the HDR, then sharpening after resize.

Thanks for looking Hawg!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:55 AM   #4

The building's unusual shape deserves to be the center of attention. But I like the fact that the sky in the background doesn't seem to agree. Very nice composition and processing.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5
conor

Thanks vvcarpio!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:00 PM   #6

Its an interesting composition Connor, but with the range you have here 3 shots wasnt enough. Probably more like 7 or 9 would have been better. If you dont believe me, and its possible, go back and try it again.

After thinking about it for a minute I took your photo and made another image from it. Then treated them both as I would when making an HDR. There is more details in the highlights as well as in the shadows. This isnt that good by a long shot, but there was only the one file to work from. I hope you dont mind and see what the purpose of HDR is all about. Its about bringing out the details, without flattening the image. Just like you would see it with your own eyes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 7, 2015 at 6:18 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:51 PM   #7
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Its an interesting composition Connor, but with the range you have here 3 shots wasnt enough. Probably more like 7 or 9 would have been better. If you dont believe me, and its possible, go back and try it again.

After thinking about it for a minute I took your photo and made another image from it. Then treated them both as I would when making an HDR. There is more details in the highlights as well as in the shadows. This isnt that good by a long shot, but there was only the one file to work from. I hope you dont mind and see what the purpose of HDR is all about. Its about bringing out the details, without flattening the image. Just like you would see it with your own eyes.
I'm not sure my camera can auto-bracket more than 3 shots, unfortunately.
But now that I look at my render and your edit, I see that you're right. I believe my original 3 were a full stop apart, likely 5 shots that were a stop apart, or 9 that were half a stop apart would have been perfect.

I love the stylized look you got from your edit, even if you didn't have the original frames. Thanks for your take on the edit.

As for re-shooting: Every time we get a thunderstorm, I keep an eye on the clouds and the sun. Unfortunately, mid-June to mid-August are the only times I've seen this type of "sunset", and glow in the clouds was caused by a thunderstorm that just ended. Since I took that shot, I haven't been able to get to a good location before the sun got too low or the clouds blew over when the sky actually looked that good.