Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:38 PM   #1

Default Batman Billboard in NYC

Many super-heroes are based in New York City, I told my 9 year-old son once. In fact, I was at McDonald's for lunch the other day and on the next table were the Fantastic Four eating burgers and fries. Then suddenly they all sprang up and ran for the door as fast as they can presumably to respond to an emergency, leaving their burgers and fries unfinished on the table. I told my son it was just another day for me at work in NYC. Real or imagined, I don't think my then 9 year-old son found superhero jokes funny at all.

Processed with DPHDR6 and TopazLabs. Thank you for looking.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jul 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:03 PM   #2

Nice one Billy.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:20 PM   #3
conor

Damn... forget batman, the clarity and definition and punch you got out of the windows and foreground.... Nothing short of outstanding! I love it!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:04 AM   #4

Thank you, Paul, Conor. There are Batman billboards on 3 corners of the block and this is the one I think that would grab your attention the least. It's not in a great location. I just noticed the empty bike stands that looked like some futuristic barrier and, I guess as conor mentioned, the detail in the glass building.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:46 PM   #5

As usual, an amazing shot. Do you ever share the technical details?

I really like the way you got the structure and interior of the building on the right. I wonder if a polarizing filter would have removed the last of the glare and made it even better.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:47 PM   #6

On technical aspects Barbarian, Ive just purchased Raya Pro from Jimmy McIntyre. Ive been following him for some time now. He is a wandering Englishman who does incredible shots of exotic places in HDR. Raya Pro is a Photoshop extension and is a very simple way to apply amazing corrections to your images. You should check him out and follow him in Facebook for some good tips and tricks and to help you with your HDR images.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:11 PM   #7

prefer lack of perspective distortion
prefer level horizon
Attached Images

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:25 PM   #8

Hi, Barbarian. Thank you. Do you mean the glare on Batman's shoulder? If yes, below is the un-edited DPHDR6 output. I think it actually did well in preventing overexposure. More likely, you're seeing the result of my recent experiments with blown out (and underexposed) areas. The Batman billboard in the un-edited DPHDR6 image came out poor in contrast I think so I created a layer of it and increased contrast with a combination of curves layer and 3 levels layers -- one for the black point, one for the white point, and one for the gray point. The overexposed areas were intentional hopefully to create strong and forceful contrast.

I'm thinking totally white (blown-out) and totally black (underexposed) areas may have a place in HDR and need not be completely avoided. Like the sun's glare behind the clouds, for example. Maybe others can share their thoughts on this?

Hi, Bernabeu. I do perspective corrections when I shoot for a client unless the client doesn't want to.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jul 18, 2015 at 5:30 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:06 PM   #9

select Batman billboard - contrast +30
select entire - push hi slider left
correct horizon
correct perspective
auto sharpen (for web viewing) +5
crop

Attached Images

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:05 PM   #10

Funny thing is, I almost always correct perspective on my own work, but I like the way the tilted verticals make the image pop out at me in this one.

By "glare", I meant the reflections on the windows. I found myself wanting to see inside those buildings.

Quote:
I'm thinking totally white (blown-out) and totally black (underexposed) areas may have a place in HDR and need not be completely avoided. Like the sun's glare behind the clouds, for example. Maybe others can share their thoughts on this?
You're right. While a "perfect" HDR has no completely blown out, or completely blocked areas, it's just a tool, not a set of standards. It is there only to help you get the image you want. If you want that spot blown out for a specific purpose, then do it.

The issue is that such things are more often caused by lack of control or unavoidable consequences of the situation. But I agree your finished image has more impact with the shoulder blown out.

Last edited by The Barbarian; Jul 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote