Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Default New York City in Frontal Perspective

"Most of the time it's best to shoot from a corner", so says a Photoshop User Magazine article I read ("Ten Secrets for Architectural Photography", Photoshop User, September 2015), "as this will give the building or room more dimension, depth, and interest."

The book, “Architectural Photography” (2012) by Adrian Schulz, agrees. “A central or two-point perspective”, it says -- or what I call a “straight shot” -- “is not particularly dynamic.” In other words, straight shots are, um, boring. It's best that the photographer walk around the building for more interesting perspectives.

“But there are times", the same Photoshop User article contends, "when the architecture will lend itself to a straight-on camera placement, and when this happens it can be a very powerful image”.

"Powerful". Hmm. I'd say that's every photographer's goal. So although I will continue to shoot from corners as a starting point, I will also remember that full frontal perspective is very direct, forceful, and not in-your-face for nothing.

#1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

#5)

All images shot with Sony A5000 and processed with Dynamic Photo HDR (DPHDR6) and Topaz Labs' Adjust, DeNoise, and ReMask. Thank you for looking.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:21 PM   #2

You've made the point quite well in these shots. I especially like #4 with its contrast in architectural styles.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Thank you, Walter.

#6)

#7)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:37 AM   #4
conor

#1 is my choice. I've always been a sucker for the skyline type shots.

I think a few of these have slight perspective issues due to the camera's angle. #3, #5, and #6 in particular, other than that, this is a gorgeous series!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:27 PM   #5

Thank you, conor.

#8)

#9)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:49 PM   #6

@vvcarpio you are a master, great shots.
I have been viewing you hdr postings for many years. I had no desire to see NYC but your photos made me put the trip on my bucket list.

I had a client in NYC and he offered to fly me in and a stay at a hotel less than a block away from times square.
I have a photo of the Helmsley blg. Its right where Grand Central Station is.

In #4, in the background is a blg. with what looks like an antenna, I even have a shot of that.

If not for you, I would have passed up the trip.
Thanks.

What a great trip.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Hi, lorenww. Thank you for the compliments. I'm actually surprised you had to think about it -- I would have jumped on it especially that you don't need to rent a car to get to places in NYC -- pretty much everything is walkable.

In any case it's great you're making the trip. Half a block from Times Square makes me jealous. I take pictures there around 8-8:30am when there's hardly any crowd. I imagine if you get up at 6am and there'd be even less crowd. LMK if you want to meet M-F.

Oh, and while you're there, you might want to set aside some shopping money for B&H.

#9) Newsstand on 34th.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 14, 2016 at 12:58 PM.